★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Do we have to rebuy games if a new company publishes them?

12-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Do we have to rebuy games if a new company publishes them?

I heard there were issues when redownloading critter crunch because it was taken off the app store then brought back up again with a new company. I believe people were charged twice when they purchased the game with the old company. Is the the case with virtual villager too? I know it used to be published by vivendi mobile but now it's through another company
12-20-2008, 01:54 AM
unfortunately yes.

If an app is removed and republished by another developer, it appears act like a completely new application without any relation to the previous one.

You would hope that Apple would have some system to move the old ones over to the new, but I don't think that's the case yet.

arn

12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
If it is put up by a different company, it is a new app and therefore, you must re-pay to re-download.
If you are unsure, you can go to the page in tha appstore on your iDevice and see if the BUY NOW button is there, or if it says installed. If it's not there (ie says installed) you can re-dl for free, if it is there it means you have to pay.

you have to have the App installed on your iDevice for this to work.
12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
wow that really sucks

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
I LOVE THE IPOTCH!!!!!!
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!
12-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supg328911@aim.com View Post
wow that really sucks
Oh yeah. A lot of things suck with the AppStore, and it's taking ages for them to update it. All in good time tho. Hopefully.
12-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Don't forget that if you still have a copy of the original game, it won't stop working just because it's been removed from the store. You can play that version forever. (Unless Apple uses their ability to remotely disable the app, which seems to be extremely unlikely.)

Of course, if you deleted the original file, you won't be able to re-download it, and if the new publisher releases an improved or updated version, you won't be able to get it unless you buy the game again.
12-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
I like to know that all of my applications are always available on the net in case anything happens to my iphone or pc hard drive. I tried backing up all of my iphone apps recently (20+ gigs of them!!) through an external hard drive but it was taking way too long and I don't feel it was worth the trouble.
12-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I like to know that all of my applications are always available on the net in case anything happens to my iphone or pc hard drive. I tried backing up all of my iphone apps recently (20+ gigs of them!!) through an external hard drive but it was taking way too long and I don't feel it was worth the trouble.
come again? You have 20+ gigs of apps??
woah. How many is that? No wonder you want them backed up, that would take some time and a chunk of your download quota getting them all back!

How much have you spent?!
12-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Same thing happened with Virtual Villagers lately. Yes you do have to repurchase, although I assume that iTunes support maybe able to do something here.
12-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Yup, this is exactly what happened with Critter Crunch. I'm still upset about it.

Link to thread.