★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple KILLS ORGANIC DISCOVERY for INDIE GAME DEVS

05-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Apple KILLS ORGANIC DISCOVERY for INDIE GAME DEVS

Did Apple just KILL ORGANIC DISCOVERY FOR INDIE GAME DEVELOPERS? My new game "Crazy Bounce!" just got released today and it's starting to get some downloads so I go to the iTunes App Store Games section to see if I made it into the New Releases section and to my surprise, the New Releases section is gone! It's been replaced by Best New Games. And other sections have been replaced by All-Time Greats. New Releases, New & Noteworthy, What's Hot, All iPhone Free/Paid are all gone! Now it seems like the only titles showing on the category sections for games are the ones from big publishers curated by Apple with huge ad budgets.

EDIT: There are multiple results when you search "Crazy Bounce!" so if you wanted to check out what game I released here's my App Store link http://bit.ly/CrazyBounce

Last edited by Storm Factory; 05-16-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Clarifications
05-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Sorry, but the change is long overdue. And no, it's not only "big publishers" who are getting featured. Quite frankly, if Crazy Bounce is any indication, I'm glad that your kind of games are fading to the background.

05-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Sorry, but the change is long overdue. And no, it's not only "big publishers" who are getting featured. Quite frankly, if Crazy Bounce is any indication, I'm glad that your kind of games are fading to the background.
There is more than one game that comes up in a "crazy bounce" search, so I'm not sure you saw my game or not, but either way what you think makes a good game is irrelevant to the point. What I think makes a good game is irrelevant to the point. There is no game that will ever be made that everybody will like and want to play.

It's all subjective. That's why having one part of the iTunes App Store Games Category Section that is not based on one person's opinion and is not curated is good for indie developers.

The "All iPhone Free/Paid" section was the one filled with every new crappy release that came out. I have no issues with removing that part. However, "New Releases" seemed to have been based on downloads. So if you were able to get a lot of downloads on your new game, there would be a good reason for Apple to put your game in that position. If you spent time and money marketing your game and people liked it and downloaded your game, you would get rewarded and placed in the New Releases based on the merits of the interest you created and the people's engagement.

Now making it on that page is going to just be based on who you know at Apple or how big of a check you can write. Looks like merit has been taken out of consideration.
05-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
I agree there should be a section for new games that allow new or undiscovered developers a chance to have a higher position to allow more people to download and judge for themselves. I truly believe if you put all developers on an equal footing then the carts would not look like they do today.
05-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSPIN View Post
I agree there should be a section for new games that allow new or undiscovered developers a chance to have a higher position to allow more people to download and judge for themselves. I truly believe if you put all developers on an equal footing then the carts would not look like they do today.
Putting everyone in the same footing is the problem. What the store needs is curation -- crud should not have the same weight as gold.

Apologies to Storm Factory -- the Crazy Bounce that came up in my first search was a bad Tiny Wings clone. The game in question is a legitimate effort.

Ultmately, a store that features everything ends up featuring nothing. Personally, I prefer a race to the top than one to the bottom, even if it means missing out on some decent games.
05-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Well that sucks. Guess it makes the best new games list more important than it already was.
05-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
I am one to commend anyone that goes through the effort of making a game and continues to do so even after their face is put in the mud. Unfortunately a number of good developers don't have the personal strength to stay in the game and get depressed by rejection by a few rather than by the masses. This process of which games should be decided by the masses and I hang my hat on this, there are games by unknowns that rise to the top without internal pushes and would have sunk to the bottom had it not been for some fortunate downloads. Whatever process makes this possible should be encouraged. Now to the real world.....
05-17-2015, 12:53 AM
The idea of equal footing is lol. Of course apple is going to want to put the products which showcase their hardware the best and will be downloaded the most at the top.

I did like the little boost apple gave everyone when new and a little surprised they removed it but I guess there was so much crap there they realised it was a waste of store space. It does mean you have to have a marketing plan now and can't just release on hope.

Most of the games indie devs make either aren't high enough in quality or don't have wide appeal (I know mine don't on the later). Overall I expect if you really have a good game (not just a generic one tap, slight tweak on gameplay cause that market is super saturated) that opportunities are out there.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
05-17-2015, 01:31 AM
On the plus side, this means a whole new tier of featuring titles can potentially appear in, at a level where there is lightly less competition.
05-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Putting everyone in the same footing is the problem. What the store needs is curation -- crud should not have the same weight as gold.

Apologies to Storm Factory -- the Crazy Bounce that came up in my first search was a bad Tiny Wings clone. The game in question is a legitimate effort.

Ultmately, a store that features everything ends up featuring nothing. Personally, I prefer a race to the top than one to the bottom, even if it means missing out on some decent games.
No worries, mate. I edited the original post and added a link to solve the confusion. It's my fault for not checking if a game with the same name already existed. It's going to make my marketing campaigns that much harder and the other guy might end up benefiting a little from my marketing campaign.