Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Default WordsWorth (with Game Center integration)- Limited time $0.99 SALE!

I picked this up last week and finally got around to playing it today. I sat down for a quick 5 or 10 minutes and lost more than an hour in what seemed like no time at all. This is a great game. It's a polished title. No half-baked effort here.

The best way I can describe WordsWorth is that it is a cross between Wurdle and WordPops. You form words by selecting adjoining letter tiles on a board. When you form a word the letter tiles are removed from the game, the tiles in the same column move down to fill the place left by the removed tiles and new tiles are introduced at the top of the board.

You can customise the size of the number of tiles (4x4, 5x5, 6x6 or 7x7) and the minimum length of the words (3, 4 or 5 letters). You can also choose between using TWL (the official word list for tournament scrabble in the USA, Canada, Thailand and Israel) or SAWPODS (the official word list for tournament scrabble in all other English speaking countries) or Enable (the most thoroughly researched and maintained wordlist for word game usage).

Using some letter tiles is worth more points than using others.

You play with the aim of earning the most points and reaching the highest level. When you complete a level you get a small report on how you are progressing. Gameplay is leisurely, you can take as long as you like, with one exception. There are some tiles that have a time limit. If you fail to use them before the time limit runs out then the game ends.

If you get stuck you can scramble the board to get new letters. But there is a penalty for doing this. One of the new tiles will be a timed tile. And if you scramble a board that already has a timed tile, then it adds another one to the new board so you end up with two timed tiles, and so on. If you don't like to scramble the board you can turn this feature off. Or you can set it to a maximum number of scrambles per level (1,2 or 3). You start of with 5 allowed scrambles. You can earn these back over the course of your game so you don't have to hoard them like a miser! To scramble the board you shake your device or touch the man who is at the bottom left of the screen. This was one of the only problems I had with the game. I accidentally touched his hat and scrambled the game when I didn't want to. You should really be asked to confirm if you want to scramble the letters.

There is a bonus word in each game. This appears in a yellow "star" at the bottom of the board. You get bonus points if you can form this word.

You select the tiles by either touching them and when you have formed a word touching the submit button. Or you can touch and drag and the word will be submitted when you lift your finger from the screen.

There are sounds in the game but these can be turned off. You can listen to your own music while playing and the status bar is displayed so you can keep an eye on the time and battery life.

I checked the developers website and can see they have a lite version planned. But this is a great game. If you enjoy playing games like Wurdle and WordPops then you will enjoy playing WordsWorth. It's only $0.99 and well worth it.

iTunes link: click here

EDIT: WordsWorth has been updated

The classic mode is the original untimed gameplay. This mode still includes the timed tiles.

The timed mode is (strangely enough) a mode in which you must complete each level before the time limit runs out or the timed tile explodes. I found that the timer and the timed tiles are fun and bring a very frantic pace to the higher levels.

I played five games in timed mode. The grid size was set to 5 tiles with 3 scrambles per level and the timer delay at 90 seconds using the enable word list. I was a bit concerned after the first two games because I struggled and didn't even finish level 2! I thought that the difficulty might be set too high for the average wordsmith. I guess that was my poor vocabulary combined with the luck of the draw on the letters. The next three games put my mind at ease. I reached levels 13 and 14. I found I was scrambling the tiles a lot more than I do when I play in the original (classic) mode. So on some levels I was working with two or three and once even four time limits if you include the timed tiles!

In timed mode you have 1 minute 30 seconds to complete the first level. In each level the time limit increases by 30 seconds on the previous level. You might think that an extra 30 seconds per level will mean that you will have "too much" time on the higher levels. But remember that the amount of additional score required per level also increases. In the games where I passed level 2 I completed the other levels in a variety of times. I couldn't tell while playing if you receive any bonus points based on the amount of time left when you complete each level. I also read through the instructions and didn't see anything mentioned about this. If you don't receive bonus points for time left per level then this would be something that would be nice to see in future updates.

The timer is shown at the bottom left of the screen just above the man in the hat. I found that I had to make an effort to keep an eye on the timer. Perhaps a better place to position the timer would be the top left of the screen in between the arrow that returns you to the main menu and the level indicator. A countdown flashes up in the centre of the screen when you have less than 10 seconds remaining. It's amazing how fast I could find words when I saw that countdown! The sense of panic it lead to was a lot of fun. Maybe the countdown could be increased to start when there are 15 seconds remaining.

The Wall of Wow (high scores) shows the scores from both the timed and untimed modes. A symbol is shown next to each score to indicate if it was achieved in a timed game (an hourglass) or a classic game (Az symbol).

One of the minor updates to the game was to reduce the frequency of the Qu and V tiles. I think that this will still require some minor adjustment as I did find that I consistently had a lot of V tiles remaining on the grid by level 10.

Last edited by snow_mani; 01-27-2009 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: To include information for updated version
Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the review. I love good word games. Downloading now....
Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 AM

thanks snow_mani - great review. Sounds like it's a steal at 99c/59p

it's good to balance the arcade games with some more cerebral ones
Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks alot for the review. Downloading now. I really like word games and wurdle is my favorite, so I'm sure I'll love this for a change of pace.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 AM

I love the game. Thanks so much for letting me know about it.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:56 AM

It looks like PathWords to me. I wish they would make that one too, but this looks very similar.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the recommendation! I love this game! Hours pass like minutes... my wife wondered if I fell asleep at the toilet playing this! hahaha
I LOVE the music! Took me awhile to recognize it and figure out where I had heard it from! Any guesses?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:24 AM

I believe this plays exactly like Bookworm Deluxe so I'm sold. Thanks for excellent review Snow Mani getting it now.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Yep, I really like this game and I can tell I'll play this alot. I can't tell where the music is from, but somehow it does sound familiar. If no one has a guess, let me know what it is!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Default Game music?

I'm not one for listening to music that comes as part of games. So I don't know where the music is from. Hkiphone you will have to let us in on the secret! Where is it that you recognise the music from?