Prune - A tree pruning game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by noethis, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    #1 noethis, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    Hi! I'm working on Prune, an upcoming iOS game all about cultivating trees. With a swipe of a finger, grow and shape each tree into a unique piece of art while avoiding the dangers of a hostile world.

Here's the recent teaser I released:

And a couple semi-out-dated screenshots. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    That's something my kid might like as well ;) . Depends on the "dangers of a hostile world" you mentioned. Will this be suitable for an almost 4-year old?
    I really like the Japanese woodcut style of the screenshots, makes it interesting for me too.

3. cbecks_noble

cbecks_noble Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2015
    pixel pusher @ cwade games
    Coquitlam BC
    This looks amazing! I can't wait to play it :D

4. twoeyedcyclops

Dec 19, 2014
    Looks really interesting. Great job with the teaser trailer!

5. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    Yeah, my 4 year old plays it and loves making crazy trees with it.

6. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

I was talking to this guy yesterday about his game Zen Koi. This seems in the same genre. Liked by small children and older people who want to relax.

I like the game concept and I like that it's called prune. Not sure I dig the tagline. It's kind of redundant. Just from the title, I already assumed that it either involved the fruit or trimming of trees. Taglines arent bad but your game is about simplicity itself.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice, thanks for the info! Will take a look for sure then once it's released.
    I forgot you made Zen Koi too, as CharredDirt reminded me.
    We both liked to just let the fish swim around, but the IAP-heavy restrictions (e.g. on available fish slots) and the repetitiveness/grind turned me away from the "game" part of it. My son really liked the fishes, the more colorful the better ;)

If you have children in your (potential) audience, either do not include any IAP from the start; or make an IAP-free, price-upfront version as well. A single "unlock all" IAP is just borderline acceptable, but also gets minus points. And not only from me; e.g. MomswithApps has these as first 4 search exclusion criteria:
    Works without internet, No in-app purchases, No links to social networks, No advertising.

8. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    CharredDirt: Interesting point about the tagline. You're referring to the one on the website, right ("Cultivate what matters. Cut away the rest")? I partly added it because I think not everybody instantly knows what prune/pruning is. It's probably not going to show up anywhere other than on the website though.

RE: Zen Koi - Interesting looking game, I'll have to check it out! I'm not going to be putting any IAP into Prune, btw. :)

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Oh oops, totally misread Charred's post, blame it on being tired.
    I interpreted "talked to this guy" as "talked to noethis", way off the mark ;)
    Very nice to hear that you'll be IAP-free, my kid's iPad says hi to Prune (and mine too).

Hhmm, even as a non-native English speaker I know what pruning is. But then I like bonsais, so maybe that's not as common as I'd guess.

10. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    Hey, if anybody is interested I'm going to be doing a short beta test of Prune here in the coming days. Looking for general feedback as well as any issues/bugs that crop up. It'll probably be through TestFlight. Pretty much any iOS device should be fine.

Shoot me an email if you want in! [email protected]

11. 6thDay

6thDay Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Was there ever mention of a release date?

12. LandSharkGames

LandSharkGames Active Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Hey! Zen Koi developer here.

Just stumbled across this and wanted to say that this looks like a really cool concept! Will definitely check it out when it's released! All the best!

13. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Looks intriguing, would love to beta this! :) I've sent an email with TestFlight details. Thanks!

14. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    Release date is mid-July.

15. 6thDay

6thDay Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Thanks, can't wait!

16. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    Ok, should be sending out the build later today (if TestFlight cooperates...)!

17. czekoladowa3

czekoladowa3 Active Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Poland
    Would you say somehting more about it? Teaster looks pretty amazing, its in simmilar mood as Limbo or something (thats why I love it)! But whats the main idea of that game? Waiting for your answer:)

18. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    Sure--Prune is a zen-like game where you swipe to cut branches and guide trees into the sunlight. It's got puzzle and story elements but it's mostly just about having fun pruning trees. If you're into comparisons, yeah it's got a bit of the mood of Limbo or Flower and the joy of swiping of Fruit Ninja. :)

19. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Am I to late to test flight it :) anyway here are my details
    [email protected]
    iPad Air 32gb
    88a80dc39a9af78e3950042369395593d06f4377

20. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Just had a quick play of the beta, and I gotta say this is something really, really special.
    It's very different to what I expected from the screenshots; while it is a relaxing experience, this is definitely a puzzle game, with a lot to offer in that department!
    The format of the game is level-based worlds, each world introducing some new concepts or strategies in 12 levels. In each level, gameplay consists of planting the tree in the designated area (with some small control over general direction of growth), and then 'pruning' the tree as it grows to get it to the sunlight. When parts of the tree touch sunlight, flowers will grow, and a required number of flowers must bloom to pass the level.
    It might sound like an overly simple concept, but the way it's used and explored in this game is really quite clever. Early levels will simply have you gently guiding the tree to a sunlit area. Later on, red suns are introduced that 'infect' your tree upon touch and stop flowers from growing, as well as blue suns that let flowers grow in darkness and give extra 'oomph' to the growth of the tree. I'm sure the game will continually surprise with new concepts further on!
    The game aspect of Prune pleasantly surprised me; but this game can't be talked about without mentioning the breathtaking graphics. The style of the graphics is kind of a cross between modern 2D minimalism and calligraphic paintings (such as those made in ancient China or Japan). It's really lovely to behold, and the overworld in the level select menu is equally astounding; as you move around the planet, concentric stars light up the sky and the ground erodes and forms like a time-lapse spanning millennia. I can't say enough good things about how beautiful this game is.
    Prune is a really lovely little masterpiece in terms of both original (and surprisingly deep) gameplay, and some of the nicest graphics I've ever seen. I can't say how long it will last; there's no indicator of how many worlds are left, but I can say without a doubt that no matter the price, you'll get your money's worth; levels get challenging by world 2-3, and even just the first three worlds provide ample entertainment.
    I highly recommend this; it's definitely one of the most beautiful experiences of 2015. Kudos to the dev for creating a fresh and relaxing game!