★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Pod Digital, Inc.
  • Genre: Dice
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 23.3 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Expedition Africa is a challenging and addictive game based on the new series of the same name from History Channel, which recreates the route that Henry Stanley took on his expedition to find Dr. David Livingstone.

The Expedition Africa game is a dice-based quest, that challenges players to see how long they can last on the journey, balancing risks and rewards, no guts, no glory. Run out of porters or food, and your journey will be over.

Challenge your friends to see if they can beat your high score. Only the strong survive.

mrbass's comments:

First off seems as many people hate this game as like it. I remember trying it really quick and dismissing it as I never read the instructions.

Let me first state what brought me to revisit this game was a post made about free 8 dice solitaire game. Someone mentioned it's heavily influenced by this Expedition Africa flash game. After playing flash game which I liked. So then I went back one page and saw there was an iphone game which I faintly remember.

Difference between flash game and iphone game is obviously no video in iphone and there is no ammo for your guns. Also no long journal entries and summaries of what transpired. Other than that pretty much identical.

I think many of the negative reviews can be one of three things.
A) not their type of game...can understand that...dice games aren't for everyone
B) sluggish ..yea even on my ipod touch 2G it's a tad sluggish don't think you should play on iphone 1G or ipod touch 1G you won't like the experience
C) people never read instructions (that was me)

So basically all you need to know is:
Roll 5 travel dice with 1 black supply/weapon die you can roll 3 times per turn. However, can chop a day or two or even three if you roll less.

You have porters which you have to feed after traveling for like a week and also must feed at checkpoints. Each porter consumes 1/4 crate of food when they eat.

To prevent your porters from getting killed:
Rifle kills crocodile
Medicine cures Mosquito bite
Pistol kills a Lion
Machete kills Snake
Fever (black die) can not be cured.

You score is based on number of days it took to reach 970 mile journey, remaining porters, food and money. 4249 is my high score. You have to realize you will lose this game quite a bit when you first start out. I'm sure that's frustrating to many and they won't even ever get to the end and finish it. Once you figure out many of the events and you could use money, or medicine or one of each gun at certain checkpoints it becomes a tad easier.

It does not keep track of high scores which is a huge oversight.

The game usually will end if you have tons of porters and can't feed them. Try to keep 5 or less and intentionally kill them if you have to. Remember you get a bonus say if you get three 20 mile rolls you'll travel 80 miles since 3 x 20 = 60 + 1 bonus 20 mile.
09-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Wrong place to post this.

Add me on Game Center: weisome
Beta Tested: America's Next Top Model, Earth Vs Moon, iPlutoid, Minigore, Ground Effect, GeoSpin, Contre Jour

09-19-2009, 03:27 PM
No thread exists for this game. Moderators will take care of it if in wrong section. I got an infraction once for doing same thing.
09-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
No thread exists for this game. Moderators will take care of it if in wrong section. I got an infraction once for doing same thing.
I know that. But this is practically a review for the game, right?

Beta Tested: America's Next Top Model, Earth Vs Moon, iPlutoid, Minigore, Ground Effect, GeoSpin, Contre Jour
09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh I see what your saying....nah not really a review. My mistake I wasn't sure what you were thinking thought you were implying I should've posted this in the lounge or something. My bad.

Not sure why there wasn't a thread on this previously. Was just trying to give people a little oversight so they don't quickly dismiss it. For me I like it much better than Oregon Trail as you have more choices to make. Let me clarify that...better than the Oregon Trail iphone game but not better than the original Oregon Trail game. I've played about 2 hours or so of it so far today.
09-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
Oh I see what your saying....nah not really a review. My mistake I wasn't sure what you were thinking thought you were implying I should've posted this in the lounge or something. My bad.

Not sure why there wasn't a thread on this previously. Was just trying to give people a little oversight so they don't quickly dismiss it. For me I like it much better than Oregon Trail as you have more choices to make. Let me clarify that...better than the Oregon Trail iphone game but not better than the original Oregon Trail game. I've played about 2 hours or so of it so far today.
I thought it was a review so I said that this was the wrong place to post this. Anyways this game was okay to me when I played it.

09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
I played this a while back. I thought it was rather good for a free game. I am not much into dice games, but the strategic elements of this game made it more interesting. I did find it challenging.
09-20-2009, 02:39 AM

Ok this game sucked 97 days it took me.....I'm ashamed.

Now let's see if anyone can beat my high score of 5477. I think I had like $24 at the end of the game.
09-20-2009, 05:03 AM
This was the first game I downloaded when I got my Ipod in June ( aaahhh memories) and I still play in every once in awhile. Its one of my favorites
09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
You convinced me. I downloaded last night but have not yet played it.