★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ballblazer

12-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Ballblazer

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300341666&mt=8

This is a great remake of the classic futuristic football game I used to love on my Commodore 64. I just bought it an hour ago, and I'm really enjoying it. Definately worth it for sheer nostalgia value, but if you haven't seen the oringinal, it's well worth a go. It's very nicely polished, runs nice and smoothly and it's pretty good fun.
12-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I remember playing this game on my Atari 800xl, I think I will pick it up for the old memories as well.

12-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Is it exactly the same as the original C64 game? I'm assuming its by the same developers since they might otherwise have a problem with using the same moniker.
12-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
I'm a little less fond of this remake, Brendonian.

As you might know, I'm a retro nut. And Ballblazer is a pretty great game. I've played it on the Apple II and Atari 8-bits (see attached image). (See a video review of the Atari 7800 version here.) But I've got to say that this iPhone release pales in comparison to the originals IMHO.

The original had two player or bot split-screen, but both were down-oriented on screen given that you couldn't lay a CRT on the table and play face to face. I get the inverse split screen for two player, but in droid mode it should be down-oriented for both, as it does help to keep an eye on the droid's viewpoint to see what he's up to - hard to do when it's a flipped image.

Also the semi-transparent ball is difficult to spot at a distance. I'm not sure if the playfield is larger here or if it's smaller craft graphics or what, but it's much more difficult to find the ball / other craft in this iPhone remake.

Points granted for the retro effort, but I hope the developer still has plans in store for this one.

Also: Don't miss the interesting Playstation remake of Ballblazer. A title worth owning.

blakespot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 18.png
Views:	3
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	303  

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
12-20-2008, 12:25 PM
You made a couple of good points there. I think it would be great to have the option of single player in landscape mode without the opponent's view to maximise vision for the player.

I've emailed the developer asking him to consider improving visibility of the ball and the goal posts and given him a couple of other suggestions.

Despite this issue, I still think this is a great effort.
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Video review of the Atari 7800 version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu7bkT8Vr78&fmt=18

blakespot

12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice, authentic audio on this one though. I spent some more time with it and am liking it a bit more, but the field seems huge. Is it me or ... is it far larger?

blakespot

12-20-2008, 01:21 PM
It does seem big, but I haven't played the original for many years so I can't really compare it.
12-21-2008, 06:47 AM
I used to love this game as a kid on the Atari 800, so I couldn't resist the iPhone version. But can someone explain the controls to me? I just don't get it. Sometimes the arrow gets really small and I can't control the pod at all anymore?!? Also, the description in the appstore says that it supports accelerometer control, but how do you enable it?
12-21-2008, 07:29 AM
The game defaults to 2 player, which is touch control only (imagine 2 people trying to tilt the device at the same time!).

After you first touch the middle of the screen to start, you get options across the screen, START, a timer, and HUMAN. If you press HUMAN, it switches to Droid 1. This means you're playing against a low level droid. press again to increase difficulty.

You can press in the timer to change how long you want the match to last.

Finally, press START to begin.

If you've selected a Droid, it will now ask you to choose either tilt, or touch controls.

Touch basically involves moving you finger over the entire area of your player's screen, so it does make it a bit hard to see. Push to the top of your screen to go forwards, bottom=backwards, etc.

Tilt controls require you to hold the device near vertical, and tilt in the direction you want to go.