Religion and games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by anabolicMike, May 23, 2015.

1. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    If I play this do I get to have lots of wives?????.... Actually when I think about it what kind of crazy fool wants more then one wife? I already get nagged/interrogated if I'm five minutes late from work, get a phone call, make a phone call. Come I without pants on, forget my computer, walk into the wrong house again..... you get my point, I have one wife too many as it, this having more then one is terrifying! I'd never do it! What a horrible thing! You'd never see the phone, the remote, the bathroom..... Oh man and getting intimate the jealousy would be horrible... This is probably hell, that's what they are getting you ready for...Hell... There's only one thing that could be worse! Well two things, if all five of your wives were pregnant at the same time (oh my Eli) and of course the worst would be if you were a girl with five husbands.... That would be terrifying!

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    This is the most WTF game of the year!!!!!! Play as a Mormon? So can you give away flyers about the end of the world, can you tell them that the only way to survive is to join your sect? Are there any combo mode like: stalk - upset - run away ? Sorry but religion has nothing to do in games!

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Alright, that's IT! We have a new game here! You got the Mormon's over here on this side and the Jehovah's Witnesses on the other both giving away their flyers seeing how many people they can piss off! Slam your door on 'em, throw stuff at 'em, run over 'em when they're on their bikes! Spit in their faces! Who knows what else? Or else you can join 'em on either side, take on their despicable, irritating, and weird ways of life yourself! Be a polygamist! Believe Jesus Christ was a created being! You can't buy Girl Scout cookies, dude! Woo-hoo! No tattoos, now! Live life watching people hate you, trying to kill you! Hey, I love this game already!!!! I say somebody's gotta make this! LOL!!!:eek:

4. icomma

icomma Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Come on guys. As bizarre as this game might be (I'm sure even members of the LDS church would laugh at this description), this isn't the place to mock anyone's beliefs or religion.

5. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    In fairness, the founder/creator of Mormonism did in fact practice polygamy, and it was part of the religion at inception. And yes, it has since been outlawed, but it is still practiced among a small minority of Mormans. So it is a fair association to make, and an expected one at that. Though I didn't take his comment as Morman bashing, he was making fun of the idea of polygamy.

6. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    May Stendarr have mercy on your soul.

7. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Lol, tell that to elder scrolls, Diablo, D&D, and every other game that has some form of magical references in it.

8. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    HAIL SATAN! The one true dank lord of all danked.

9. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Downloaded the game anyway because you have no sense of humor. Pull the broomstick out just three inches, yo. Believe me, it'll feel a lot better.

10. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Spot on!

11. Uberhamster

Uberhamster Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Huh! Surprised that this got through App Review!

12. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    What about my cats? Will they survive the apocalypse if they are not Mormons?

13. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Yeah but those games are fictions, they are not promoting Christianity, Buddhism or else

14. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Sense of humour? Sorry but those guys are promoting their sect through this app and you think it's fun?

15. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Yes, like in the greatest indie rogue like shooter of recent memory - "The Binding of Isaac"

16. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Not sure if you got the reference. Google Stendarr.

Anyway, religion does have a place in games as it is often a very important part of world building or it can be an interesting character arc (a character losing faith).

What doesn't have a place in games is religious propaganda.

17. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    I totally agree with you, I guess I was too extreme in my way of expressing myself ^^

18. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    You can't disagree with a fact.

Obviously you haven't played or looked into a lot of games.

19. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Don't worry. It is.

20. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    #20 Reydn, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    No real Mormons practice polygamy. There are fundamentalists not associated with the church that do practice it.

Yes, I'm Mormon. Despite what some people might think or say about Mormonism, most of us just try to work hard, do the right thing, help a brother out, and raise a decent family :)

And yes, this game looks ... interesting ... on a good day.