★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Battery Use?

12-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Battery Use?

When purchasing a game, one major factor (along with price and replayability) is how much battery it uses. If I feel that it will quickly drain my battery, I don't buy/download it. I don't want to be charging my touch everyday. So I pose the question: how important is a game's or app's battery usage important to you?

Also, what factors play in how much battery is used? I assume that accelerometer usage, WiFi usage and higher, 3D graphic drain it more. Any more factors?

Last edited by rjsim; 12-20-2008 at 11:29 AM.
12-20-2008, 11:49 AM
How much battery a game uses is hugely important to me. I buy games based on battery usage and replayability.
12-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Battery life ain't a factor for me since all the good games drain it like crazy. I've just learned to accept it...
12-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Couldn't care less since everything about the iPhone is a battery hog in general. In reality, I'm never away from the ability to charge the phone for long enough that it would ever be an issue, so I don't worry about it, and thus its a non-issue.
12-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Since I'm a pessimist, I fear over my Touch's battery life, what with the replacement hassles and all (Not to mention that I'm not sure my iPod is under warranty because I bought it in Japan...), but in general it isn't such a HUGE factor for me.

Obviously, I don't want a game that is gonna be playable for only an hour before I have to recharge, but at the same time, I'm willing to accept it if it's fun (and cheap) and I'm at home or something.

A good example is Zone Warrior, which of all the games I've downloaded, sucks the battery out the most. But it's fun, and it's a good pick up and play game that doesn't take a lot of dedication (timewise) and I can turn it off fast if I need to and not be worried about my game.

It's gonna be a challenge for developers (as well as Apple advertising the iPhone/Touch as a gaming device) to come up with good games that don't abuse the battery, and in all honesty is probably one of the biggest problems in terms of the iPhone/Touch being a "gaming device".
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I have to say that battery life is an important factor to me as well. I take my ipod to classes with me and need it to last the entire day. I can only play certain games when I am at home because I need the battery to last, like chocolate shop frenzy, rolando, or sneezies. I have also started carrying around a portable charger so i can charge it when I am not using it.

Just a gal who likes to write and has an unhealthy(probably) attachment to her iPod.

Top 6 favorite games right now: {Rogue Touch, Sway, Pocket God, Archibald's Adventure, Wolfenstein 3D, Platypus}