★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Lots of rogue-likes released lately - which are your favs?

05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
#1
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,026
Lots of rogue-likes released lately - which are your favs?

I've been away from IOS gaming for a few months and I can see that things have not slowed as far as releases.

That said, there's a lot out there and I wanted to gather some opinions on games before I make a few purchases. I just finished Devious Dungeons 2 and loved it so I'll not shy away from action roguelikes so long as the control scheme works.

Between the following ones, which would you recommend, how much time have you spent on it and why do you like it?

  • - Enchanted Cave 2
  • - Tallowmere [Purchased it, loving it so far]
  • - Sproggiwood
  • - Crowntakers
  • - Dungeoneers Quest (iPhone only 1st person rogue-like)

If there are others not on my list, please let me know!

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2

Last edited by Jorlen; 05-30-2015 at 07:17 PM.
05-30-2015, 11:12 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 809
WazHack,it is not new but a brand new update is going to be released soon.My favorite roguelike on mobile.

05-30-2015, 12:07 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 2,913
I am very interested in tallowmere but can't decide if I want the iOS or of version... Sigh....
05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,188
Im really wanting to play a roguelike, but i still havent found anything close to Zettai Hero Project: The Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman to scratch the itch. Played over 600 hours into that, and im still wanting more of it since i havent played it in a few years now.
05-30-2015, 07:12 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
I am very interested in tallowmere but can't decide if I want the iOS or of version... Sigh....
Tallowmere is the one I ended up going with for now, and I'm glad I did. I haven't put it down since picking it up. The controls work well but I would definitely be better at the game if I could use a gamepad. For me, IOS works because I can use it on the go (I'm on the go a lot) but if you have a PC most of the time, I'd recommend that + gamepad. However, for a game of its type the controls are serviceable.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
05-30-2015, 07:13 PM
#6
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Im really wanting to play a roguelike, but i still havent found anything close to Zettai Hero Project: The Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman to scratch the itch. Played over 600 hours into that, and im still wanting more of it since i havent played it in a few years now.
I have ZHP on PSP as well. Nothing comes close to that kind of gameplay on IOS, not that I've tried anyway.

While it may not be similar, I'm guessing you've already played Cavern?

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
05-30-2015, 07:16 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 181
From your list I would recommend Enchanted Cave 2 (I think that's what you meant to type) since you already picked up Tallowmere. Enchanted Cave 2 is a fantastic roguelike that as of now is the closest to Dungeons Of Dredmor for iOS (although humor-wise Pixel Heroes is closer), absolutely fantastic game that is well worth the price. I would also give a strong recommendation to Cardinal Quest 2 if you have not already played it and it's free to download. Cardinal Quest 2 is one of the best roguelikes on iOS and still a favorite of mine. The rest of the games I have not yet tried but I have read a lot of great things about Sproggiwood and Crowntakers.
05-30-2015, 07:19 PM
#8
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLL View Post
From your list I would recommend Enchanted Cave 2 (I think that's what you meant to type) since you already picked up Tallowmere. Enchanted Cave 2 is a fantastic roguelike that as of now is the closest to Dungeons Of Dredmor for iOS (although humor-wise Pixel Heroes is closer), absolutely fantastic game that is well worth the price. I would also give a strong recommendation to Cardinal Quest 2 if you have not already played it and it's free to download. Cardinal Quest 2 is one of the best roguelikes on iOS and still a favorite of mine. The rest of the games I have not yet tried but I have read a lot of great things about Sproggiwood and Crowntakers.
Right, it was Enchanted Cave 2 I meant to write, thanks! I knew it looked funny but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it! I'll pick that one up next. Is it turn-based? It would be nice to have a turn based game to take breaks from the crazy action of Tallowmere. I have played Cardinal Quest 2 as well and it's very good, but admittedly I am not very good at the game and can never make it too far.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
05-30-2015, 07:30 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Right, it was Enchanted Cave 2 I meant to write, thanks! I knew it looked funny but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it! I'll pick that one up next. Is it turn-based? It would be nice to have a turn based game to take breaks from the crazy action of Tallowmere. I have played Cardinal Quest 2 as well and it's very good, but admittedly I am not very good at the game and can never make it too far.
Yes it is a turn-based game. I would strongly recommend it as a contrast to Tallowmere . You can't go wrong with either game, both games are well worth your time.

Last edited by JasonLL; 05-30-2015 at 07:32 PM.
05-30-2015, 09:38 PM
#10
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Im really wanting to play a roguelike, but i still havent found anything close to Zettai Hero Project: The Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman to scratch the itch. Played over 600 hours into that, and im still wanting more of it since i havent played it in a few years now.
EP, what makes Zettai Hero Project so good compared to the games listed above? I'd never heard of ZHP before you said it so I'm now wondering if I should look into acquiring it?
The games listed are pretty good, but you make it sound like they don't hold a candle to ZHP, so just wondering why so?