★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cally's Caves 3 (Universal)

06-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Cally's Caves 3 (Universal)

Hey TA community!
Cally's Caves 3 is a platformer/metroidvania style game that a couple of buddies and I have been working on since last July. If you played Cally's Caves 2 then you know what style of game to expect, and I'm happy to report that we've made everything bigger and better for part 3, incorporating the feedback we received from the TA forum members that were nice enough to comment on our CC2 thread, and criticisms addressed in the Toucharcade review by Shaun Musgrave. Here is our trailer:

Cally's Caves 3 features:
- 110 levels across 8 zones, each with it's own crazy boss guarding the zone exit
- both regular and New Game Plus Modes (NG+ is also 110 levels)
- New Game + allows you level your weapons up to level 20 (while the regular game caps at 10), unlocks 10 new enemy types.
- Metroidvania style map with checkpoint system
- New weapon effects. In CC2, your weapons would change appearance every few levels, but the weapons effect didn't change. This time we are fixing that in a big way, with weapon effects drastically changing when the appearance does - you can see a bunch of the variation in the NG+ video below
- 12 weapons with a bunch of upgrade tiers each (a total of 89 unique weapon effects/appearances across the 12 weapons)
- New powerups like Cally's Roll and Swimming ability, charged shot for weapons, powerup that destroys all enemies on screen when Cally gets down to 1 heart, etc.
- New characters and improved story system
- New Parry system. Parrying enemies projectiles will knock the projectile back into the enemy, doing massive damage.
- New playable character "Bera"
- 150 wave survival/horde mode, which is a great place to grind your weapon/character levels up
- New store run by another new character, Rupert (Herbert's Son). You will find your weapons again, but Rupert sells powerups and consumables. Cally now has an inventory and can stock up on consumables to use later (replenish health, temporary damage boost, etc)
- New weapon mod system. Each weapon has two available mods you can add on to it to make it even more powerful (mod types include poison, shock, frost and explosive)
- destructible environments (everyone was asking for this )
- 4 types of collectibles, each with a bonus level associated with finding them all, each bonus level has a tangible reward that makes Cally godly powerful

Other than that, it's lot's of run and gun action. We've put so much more time into polishing CC3 and trying to make it the best iOS game ever. Our team thinks of this as the Mario 3 of our series (in a progression sense) and we do not want to disappoint.

IAP explained:
Cally's Caves 3 is a free download, in which you can play the 110 levels of the regular game and level your weapons up to level 10. We wanted to make sure that the content we give away for free is equivalent or more than what came with CC2. We earned a lot of good will for giving away CC2 for free, and we don't want to ruin that by having crappy paywalls or an energy system.

1) NG+ and weapon tier unlocks
- this purchase will unlock New Game + and unlock weapon levelling up to 20 (where the weapons will be super crazy)
2) Survival and Sniper Rifle
- This purchase unlocks the wave-based survival mode and the Sniper Rifle weapon, which targets the closest enemy no matter where they are.

Both of these iAPs add or unlock more content for the game, but they also aren't required. So if you are on the fence about it or skeptical, just play the regular game and see if you enjoy it. Our playtesters are averaging about 8 hours to beat the regular game, which is free.

We will be releasing in July, and will have some promo code giveaways in the forums here for members to play early. One of the highlights of releasing CC2 was coming on the TA forums and reading everyone's feedback, and we would like to thank you all for being a part of that.
If you want to see more of the game we have a couple of playtesting videos:

And you can find gifs, dev diaries, videos, songs, etc at www.callyscaves.com
I can't wait to hear what you think!
Jordan Pearson
06-01-2015, 09:18 AM
This looks awesome and cannot wait to play. Great time on ios for platformers. This will have a spot right next to nubs adventure, xolan, and goblin sword.... And CC1 and CC2 of course.

06-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Haha thanks! We've definitely been progressing as we go, and could only hope to be compared to games like Goblin Sword, which is one of our team's favorite iOS games ever.
06-01-2015, 09:59 AM
I love your iap system, paying for cool stuff rather than being able to play is awesome.

I'm a big fan of pixel graphics and can't wait to give this game a go, especially as it's free! I'll keep a close eye on this topic to see when it's released, looking great so far

Clean Up Crew: A colourful fish game, frantically clean Algae off the screen before the time runs out!
06-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Thank you so much for your interest Lynq! We can't wait to hear what you think
06-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Haven't been able to give this the attention it deserves yet, but from what I have been able to play.....this game is a fantastic follow up and evolution of the series. controls are great and the is just so much content. I love the upgrade system in that you upgrade based on how much you use that item. Very excited to dig in more but wanted to post some initial thoughts.

Question....does the knife/dagger upgrade at all?
06-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Sword Upgrades

Yup! There's a series of sword upgrades for sale at the store. The first sword is intentionally kind of crappy to make the upgrade to the second level, much bigger sword cooler
06-03-2015, 06:28 AM
The amount of content here is massive
06-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Awesome! I'm glad you are enjoying it We definitely aim to please with the amount of content, and I'm really happy to hear you are satisfied with it
06-03-2015, 04:53 PM
A little girl with an RPG fighting direwolves and robots? Where has this game been ALL MY LIFE?

Did not play CC1 or CC2, but all will be made right soon...

Best wishes on your launch, devs. Mario 3 eh? My expectations are high!