Cally's Caves 3 (Universal)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jordanfwc, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey TA community!
    Cally's Caves 3 is a platformer/metroidvania style game that a couple of buddies and I have been working on since last July. If you played Cally's Caves 2 then you know what style of game to expect, and I'm happy to report that we've made everything bigger and better for part 3, incorporating the feedback we received from the TA forum members that were nice enough to comment on our CC2 thread, and criticisms addressed in the Toucharcade review by Shaun Musgrave. Here is our trailer:

And you can find gifs, dev diaries, videos, songs, etc at www.callyscaves.com
    I can't wait to hear what you think!
    Jordan Pearson

2. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    This looks awesome and cannot wait to play. Great time on ios for platformers. This will have a spot right next to nubs adventure, xolan, and goblin sword.... And CC1 and CC2 of course.

3. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Haha thanks! We've definitely been progressing as we go, and could only hope to be compared to games like Goblin Sword, which is one of our team's favorite iOS games ever.

4. Lynq

Lynq Member

May 26, 2015
    Web Developer
    UK
    I love your iap system, paying for cool stuff rather than being able to play is awesome.

I'm a big fan of pixel graphics and can't wait to give this game a go, especially as it's free! I'll keep a close eye on this topic to see when it's released, looking great so far :)

5. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Thank you so much for your interest Lynq! We can't wait to hear what you think :D

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Haven't been able to give this the attention it deserves yet, but from what I have been able to play.....this game is a fantastic follow up and evolution of the series. controls are great and the is just so much content. I love the upgrade system in that you upgrade based on how much you use that item. Very excited to dig in more but wanted to post some initial thoughts.

Question....does the knife/dagger upgrade at all?

7. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Sword Upgrades

Yup! There's a series of sword upgrades for sale at the store. The first sword is intentionally kind of crappy to make the upgrade to the second level, much bigger sword cooler :D

8. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    The amount of content here is massive

9. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Awesome! I'm glad you are enjoying it :D We definitely aim to please with the amount of content, and I'm really happy to hear you are satisfied with it

10. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    A little girl with an RPG fighting direwolves and robots? Where has this game been ALL MY LIFE?

Did not play CC1 or CC2, but all will be made right soon...

Best wishes on your launch, devs. Mario 3 eh? My expectations are high! ;)

11. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks for checking them out Garbul! I'd recommend starting with CC2, as CC1 was kind of a proof of concept project that we built in 4 months as an experiment to see if we could learn how to start coding video games and ship one in 120 days. Not that we aren't proud of it, but I think CC2 is more indicative of what you will see in part 3.
    The SMB comparison isn't meant to compare ourselves to Mario (obviously), but more in that
    Mario 1 - weird game setting out the concepts of everything that would follow
    Mario 2 - Better graphics and more to it, but also way weirder
    Mario 3 - Looks amazing, more accessible, etc.

So we hope CC3 can kind of follow that path. looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Man, that music, if you wanna call it that----grated on my head in NO time! Headache action!!!! :( (No good!!! ) This game looks insane, I must say, with a lot to work with! Seems like you gotta shoot the baddies WAY too many times for 'em to die, though! That's nuts! Maybe they'll tweak this a bit more and this will be epic!

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Any thought to adding the ability to shoot while moving backwards? Agree that it takes a lot of bullets to kill a baddy.

14. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    #14 jordanfwc, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback on the trailer Bigrand! Sad to say, if you don't enjoy the music in the trailer, you will probably not enjoy the music in the game. I've always made really weird music, and it's not surprising to hear it grated on you, but thank you very much for letting us know your thoughts on it and we will keep it in mind for future trailers :)
    JP gold - regarding the enemies taking lots of hits to kill:
    It's balanced to be like that on purpose, once you level some weapons up to the higher tiers, attach some weapon mods, and use a consumable that gives you a damage bonus, you will be slaying enemies with god-like power :D
    My personal favorite: Using the ham sandwich with the Boomerang with explosive mod attached. You get a charge shot with that set up and it will crush all that oppose you.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Jordan

EDIT: Missed your question about walking backwards JPgold, we actually never really considered a strafing system like that, although I've played with it in Ravenous' games and it is pretty awesome. Maybe for our next game :)

15. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY

That's exactly what I had in mind. Ravenous makes some of my favorite games and think that would add a lot. Next time!

16. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    How come all the upgrades are so expensive? Is it easier to accumulate coins later on? Feel like I'll never get to 25k.

17. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    #17 jordanfwc, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    hey JPgold,
    Purchase some of the coin multipliers and you'll have 25k in no time :D the first coin multiplier is 5000, which doubles your coin pickup, the second costs 10,000 and makes your coin pickups x3, etc.
    EDIT - we will probably add a line to the first store tutorial to make it more clear :)

18. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Release Date: July 21st

Hey everybody,
    We just wanted to update the thread to let everyone know that Cally's Caves 3 will be releasing on July 21st. We've also recently added a character page to our website to give some info on the new and returning characters in CC3. It can be found here.
    We were lucky enough to get a few TA forums members testing the beta for the game and they were very helpful with their feedback, and we can't wait to see what everyone else thinks once the game is out!
    Thanks everyone :)
    Jordan
    [​IMG]

19. 6thDay

6thDay Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2013
    yes!!!

20. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Yessssss. Part one and two are definitely on my top 20 of best iPhone games. I can't wait to give this s go