★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is it a clone or upgrade

06-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
Is it a clone or upgrade

Some of you may know that I am a strong believer in making good things better and feel it is a natural part of business. I used it when I built products, designed web businesses, remodeled houses etc. It was used and continues to be used by major players in various business. Steve Jobs renovated the Walkman which saved Sony in days gone by and created iPod. Those that fail to improve end up like companies like Nokia standing in the wings watch Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi etc racing by them. Enough

I made 3 games which many here say are clones and I say and hope other say are improvements / upgrades to the original. I selected 3 games that are big winners in the market.

My case:

The game although not created by Ketchapp was one of their big hits. I made this game into a faster game by adding a diagonal swipe to increase the possible moves from 8 to 16 and multi join tiles which means you don’t have to swipe multiple times to join tiles in the same line. Also the skin has a bit of Monet colors to it to soften the look.
My game is called 2048.v2
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/2048.v2/id937669142?mt=8

Don’t Touch The White Tile
This piano tune game was originally create by UMONI and recently sold to some company. I changed the introduction of white and black tiles by having them explode from the center out making it less predictable and forcing you to eliminate tile by touch the screen in 6 areas instead of 4 and I feel more graphically appealing.
My game is called PianoTap Squares
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pianotap-squares/id943710266?mt=8

Stick Hero
The game was introduced by Ketchapp and one of their few games that Apple gave a recommendation on. I changed the game into a game where the small figure plays an important part in the game. Unlike the Ketchapp version where the stick always extends from the corner of the rock my figure carries the stick as it is extending then when you release your finger it drops the stick and the stick is kicked to the other side. This makes it harder to calculate the distance and you have a limited time to extend the stick because the figure is walking towards the edge of the cliff. Plus if you drop the stick on a previous fallen stick the stick will slide to the end of that stick then fall. Also the sweet spot on the opposite side is a moving target in the form of a chicken where Ketchapp has a red spot in the middle of the rock. I have 4 other levels that will be introduced to the game soon.

My game is called stickHero Stickman Saga
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stick-hero-stickman-saga/id978927227?mt=8

In brief those are the 3 games I want you to judge and I ask you to respond by telling me if you feel the game is a clone and why and if you feel it is an upgrade then why.

Also if some of you have been accused of producing a clone please present your case here
06-02-2015, 09:42 AM
A good rule of thumb is when the best way to describe your game is "It's like [popular game], but with one small difference," it's a clone. Sorry man. Wouldn't touch any of these games with a ten foot pole.

06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he didn't come on stage and say "Here it is everyone, the Walkman v2!"

Taking an established gaming concept and building on it or improving it is fine (usually). But if that's what you've done with these games, nobody will ever see that because you're not letting them stand on their own merits. You're blatantly using the popularity of the names of those games in order to sell your own versions. This will never go over well no matter how fun or innovative your game concepts are.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
06-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Except when Jobs introduced the iPod, he kind of did. He did a walk through of the history of portable music players, and their incremental improvements.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he didn't come on stage and say "Here it is everyone, the Walkman v2!"

Taking an established gaming concept and building on it or improving it is fine (usually). But if that's what you've done with these games, nobody will ever see that because you're not letting them stand on their own merits. You're blatantly using the popularity of the names of those games in order to sell your own versions. This will never go over well no matter how fun or innovative your game concepts are.
06-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Except when Jobs introduced the iPod, he kind of did. He did a walk through of the history of portable music players, and their incremental improvements.
Sure, just as one might compare their game to another's in an app's description. He did not literally name the iPod a "Walkman" as the OP has done with his games. The fact that that does not seem to be an issue to so many people is disturbing.

06-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Good lord, I just saw that - who on earth would think it's a smart move to name their game <popular game>.v2?
I mean, forget about whether it's right or wrong - you'd be begging a lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
Sure, just as one might compare their game to another's in an app's description. He did not literally name the iPod a "Walkman" as the OP has done with his games. The fact that that does not seem to be an issue to so many people is disturbing.
06-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Good lord, I just saw that - who on earth would think it's a smart move to name their game <popular game>.v2?
I mean, forget about whether it's right or wrong - you'd be begging a lawsuit.
Yes, exactly. Re-reading my comment I see I wasn't super clear, because you're absolutely right, Jobs basically did come out and say "Here's the new Walkman!" But yeah the real issue is with the name itself, which I find super scummy.

A similar thing happened with this game when it came out: Blue Bird 2: Flappy Resurrection. It looks like they've changed it now, but originally the app description and all the marketing (and possibly the game title itself?) were all calling it "The true sequel to Flappy Bird!" in a very obvious attempt to trick people into thinking it was an actual sequel. The sad thing is that it seemed to work, as that game has been downloaded a ton and I'm sure made a shit ton of money, to the point that now it seems they are able to remove all the scummy stuff that got them the downloads in the first place :-/

06-02-2015, 02:29 PM
This is the truly shitty part about these scummy clones too. You look at these and think to yourself "These people are never going to make money with such blatant clones," but all it takes is the Apple Search engine roulette wheel landing on the right number and suddenly some dude with a scummy clone of whatever the latest viral hit is turns into an overnight millionaire.

The ridiculous success of some of these absolutely terrible clones on the App Store is a fabulous example of how unfair life actually is.
06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Calling your game 2048v2 is disgusting

It sounds like it's a proper sequel

Appalling
06-02-2015, 04:01 PM
1stSpin I think you are confusing why people are angry. It isn't that you are making clones with improvements, mechanics aren't IP. It is that you then use the previous games brand to try and leverage sales. You try to make it look as much like the original name or fool people into thinking you are a legit sequel. You are hoping people will search for the original game and see yours and think they are part of the same brand and thus download.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8