★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Norbyte
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 15.0 MB
  • Version: 3.0.5
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 3 (2)
App description: Match the colored blocks and watch them swish by you in this 3D implementation of a classic puzzle game, with almost endless variations!
We obviously think Downfall is great, but don't take our word for it. Scroll down to read what some of the magazines and websites have said about it.

Guide the falling blocks using swipes and taps, to form same colored lines in this action packed puzzle game.
There are over 30 game variations, with special blocks (like dynamite sticks, snow shovels etc.) and different designs.
The game features smooth 3D animations and realistic physics, with ejected blocks flying towards you and the game area swaying every time you drop a stack of blocks.

Try Before You Buy:
We recommend that you instead try the free version of this app (available on the App Store), and then upgrade it if you like it.
After you upgrade the free version, it's identical to this standalone Pro version.

--- REVIEWS ---
"provided me with more mind-bending entertainment than several major titles released this year."
/Game Chronicles Magazine

"deserves all the recognition that can be heaped upon it."
"Simple, colorful, addictive and challenging"
"Perfect for yourself or a family environment"
/Inside Mac Games

"This fun, falling-blocks game takes the concepts of T***** [redacted trademark] and C****** [redacted trademark] to a whole new level, offering 3D graphics and new game types."
"We were amazed at the smooth 3D transitions between games and the way the board reacts to winning block combinations."
/CNET Download.com Mac Editor's Review

LordGek's comments:
This caught me complete off guard. I've long been a fan of the PC version and can only hope the iPhone version is as cool. While it has a lot of cute 3D effects, there is no denying it isn't the prettiest game on the block, even for Columns Clones, but where this game shines is in its amazing variety of game variants! These variants aren't simply a matter of difficulty levels or number of colors but COMPLETELY different variants with different graphics and rules (down to which power-ups appear if any, point value of the pieces, etc.). Another cool aspect about the series is that unlike almost all other Column variants out there, the speed of the falling pieces never increases! The devs have designed clever ways to increase the challenge (like making indestructible blocks appear more commonly in many variants) without needing to go the route of the cheap "pieces falling faster than you can control them.

I will be checking it out and post my impressions shortly.

If curious about the PC/Mac version of the game sang a free demo at www.norbyte.com

09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Well grrr!

There is a great game under the hood here but:

-Controls might not be that intuitive (they use swipe up/down to rotate colors and tap to drop).
-Help for any specific game can be a bit tough to access after the one time rule run through when you first start a game (tap on the tips to advanced through the pages as most of the variants have more than one page of instructions). If you miss the initial instructions the only way I've found to bring the rules for that game up again is to play another game variant and then come back to this one as each replay of a given game skips the instructions (usually a good thing, but annoying IF you want to read them).
-Last but not least, unless I'm missing something painfully obvious, while all 30 variations have their own Top 20 scoreboards (very cool), you are stuck with the name of "Player" with no foreseeable way to edit this.

I have faith they can correct these issues and I know they're open to reasonable constructive criticism, let's team up and help them make this game great!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Reply from dev

Thanks for your feedback!

We could easily offer alternative controls (just like we do in the Mac/PC versions), so all suggestions are welcome.

We plan to let the player set his/her name in a future update, and this will also (optionally?) set all "Player" highscore entries to that name.

As for the help, we'll do our best to improve on that as well!
09-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbyte View Post
Thanks for your feedback!

We could easily offer alternative controls (just like we do in the Mac/PC versions), so all suggestions are welcome.

We plan to let the player set his/her name in a future update, and this will also (optionally?) set all "Player" highscore entries to that name.

As for the help, we'll do our best to improve on that as well!
Thanks guys, as one of your biggest fans on the PC version I don't mean to come off harsh but I KNOW these are little things that can have a big impact on players, get them taken care of and we'll have something great here!

I do have to give you guys credit for porting your classic to the iPhone in an almost dead-on manner! Conceding a few UI changes needed for the smaller screen, this is the exact same game as on the PC/Mac (not a crippled simplified version as many other porters have done with their PC game conversions)!

My iTunes Reviews
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Next update

The update mentioned below should be approved by Apple within a couple of weeks (I'll let you know in this thread).

--- NEXT UPDATE ---
The current controls will be improved.
An alternative set of controls will be added.
The selected game's help screen will be displayed when the game is paused.
--- ---

The highscore issue will take a little longer than expected, so it will have to wait.
09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Quote:
The update mentioned below should be approved by Apple within a couple of weeks (I'll let you know in this thread).

--- NEXT UPDATE ---
The current controls will be improved.
An alternative set of controls will be added.
The selected game's help screen will be displayed when the game is paused.
--- ---

The highscore issue will take a little longer than expected, so it will have to wait.
That's a great start! Although I hope it will be clear how to advance a page of instructions vs. unpausing the game.

My iTunes Reviews
09-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Advancing a page of instructions will be done with the usual swipe or tap, while there's a Back button at the lower right hand corner to take you back to the game (along with an Options button, just like the current pause screen).
09-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Advancing a page of instructions will be done with the usual swipe or tap, while there's a Back button at the lower right hand corner to take you back to the game (along with an Options button, just like the current pause screen).
Cool. This will be a very appreciated update. The core game, again, is a dead on port of the PC/Mac and therefore no complaints in that department.

My iTunes Reviews
10-07-2009, 06:17 PM
2.8.3 update is out

What's new
The current controls have been improved.
An alternative set of controls has been added.
More precise tapping in menus.
Improved performance.
The selected game's help screen is now displayed when paused.
Some minor improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
This game looks really cool

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon