★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: PSP Vs iPhone (an IGN article)

12-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to matt
PSP Vs iPhone (an IGN article)

Over at IGN there is a great 6 page article detailing the differences between the two mobile devices. You can head here to read it but here is my favorite line from the article,

Quote:
It would be a shame if ngmoco's Rolando, a wonderful action-puzzler that's worth every penny of its $9.99 price, lost a sale because of some 99-cent piece of garbage from DS Effects.
Just awesome.

@mmccarty

Gameloft LIVE: mattmccarty
12-20-2008, 01:23 PM
iphone all the way

12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
It's hardly a fair fight.

The PSP is 4 years old. The iPhone 3G is only three months old (correct me if I'm wrong). The PSP is not gonna have certain capabilities that the iPhone has, but it has had plenty of time for developers to come out with great games. Plus, it has hardware controls.

The iPhone 3G is ridiculously younger as is the AppStore. The PSP was made FOR GAMING. The iPhone was made as an all around device that just happens to include gaming.

The PSP and iPhone are two waaay different devices. I'm sick of hearing these arguments. It's unrealistic that the iPhone's gonna take over the handheld gaming industry in just a few months. Companies aren't even taking the platform seriously yet.

Last edited by Kamazar; 12-20-2008 at 01:42 PM.
12-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I own a PSP and while its a great handheld, there is only one decent game released every couple of months!
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
It's hardly a fair fight.
Agreed!
and the app stores been around for about 6 months

"Insert generic signature here"
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
still, the psp has more impressive games.
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
This debate can be a can of worms...

I have a DS, a PSP, and an iPhone. The PSP has been my favorite gadget for a long time.

However I feel that the model currently offered by the iPhone (convergence + digital distribution) is the way of the future. I think as smartphones become more popular and offer such a variety of games (from racing to puzzlers to action to RTS), the public in general will not feel the need to drop another $150 just to play ($40) games.
12-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I think these sorts of comparisons are silly. It's like writing an article comparing a mansion with a condo. They are different things for different people. I myself am a simple 'gamer' and I like word games, puzzle games and stuff like that. I am not interested in a game that makes me feel like I am at a movie. I like the little $1-2 games like Firewords or Gamebox Classics. So for me an iPod Touch is more than fine. I just sold my Nintendo DS, actually, and I got more than what I paid for the iPod for it. But it you want the hardcore games, that is a completely different audience and for them a dedicated device might be better. It's just a different sort of 'gamer.' Me, I like having one device that does it all, and my 'gaming' needs are more than met by what the App store seems to be offering.
12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I can argue tech specs, and all the different features all day long, but I can tell you this: I game more on the iPhone than on my DS and PSP combined. It really boils down to convenience, and the iPhone has it all over those two in that area.
12-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by damballah View Post
I can argue tech specs, and all the different features all day long, but I can tell you this: I game more on the iPhone than on my DS and PSP combined. It really boils down to convenience, and the iPhone has it all over those two in that area.
Same for me.