★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's the most you'd be willing to pay for an iOS game?

View Poll Results: What's the most you would be willing to pay for an iOS game?
Nothing, I only play free games 3 3.00%
99 1 1.00%
$2.99 3 3.00%
$4.99 6 6.00%
$9.99 9 9.00%
No upper limit, depending on the quality of the game 78 78.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll
06-11-2015, 07:50 AM
What's the most you'd be willing to pay for an iOS game?

There was a recent poll in MacWorld UK where 61% of the respondents said they wouldn't pay anything for games. I'm curious what peoples opinions would be on a gaming website. Please be honest so we don't skew the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHKyPzYWkAIJ23O.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	88360  

Last edited by klink; 06-11-2015 at 08:13 AM.
06-11-2015, 08:08 AM
That poll was SO depressing to see. I mean Android people expect everthing free but i was surprised that was iOS

Then again look how many people wait for a one dollar price drop on a game here, or rush like crazy people trying to get a promo code for a 99c game. Depressing.

I think the prices arent too bad, a lot of throwaway games are about 1 or 2 dollars which is about right, the higher quality you go i'm totally happy spending 5 or 10 dollars on a game (I'll be picking up Transistor later)

Again when i was a kid in the 80's games were very expensive, i was on poor pocket money, still saved up to buy as many games as i can. All these years later kids have 200 or 300 dollar phones yet dont seem to want to buy a game for 1 or 2 dollars.

I've been around for the 8 bits, the arcade years, 16 bits and more. I think mobile gaming is amazing, GREAT value and just so much variety. I'll always buy a game on release as i want the dev to get maximum value. Depressing how many cheapskates there are though

06-11-2015, 08:14 AM
It all depends on the game. I would have no problem paying $30 - $40 for a game I thought I would really like and play a lot. Quite a few of the games I have installed, I would have paid $10 - $15 for, but they were $5 or under, generally. The App Store is awesome, but I think it causes many developers to price their games lower than they should, just to be competitive. Every single developer who buys into the no in-app purchases nonsense, should add optional 'donation' style in-app purchases for people who are willing to pay more. I love not having to worry about in-app purchases, but would be more than willing to throw a few dollars their way of I really like the game.
06-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
That poll was SO depressing to see. I mean Android people expect everthing free but i was surprised that was iOS

Then again look how many people wait for a one dollar price drop on a game here, or rush like crazy people trying to get a promo code for a 99c game. Depressing.

I think the prices arent too bad, a lot of throwaway games are about 1 or 2 dollars which is about right, the higher quality you go i'm totally happy spending 5 or 10 dollars on a game (I'll be picking up Transistor later)

Again when i was a kid in the 80's games were very expensive, i was on poor pocket money, still saved up to buy as many games as i can. All these years later kids have 200 or 300 dollar phones yet dont seem to want to buy a game for 1 or 2 dollars.

I've been around for the 8 bits, the arcade years, 16 bits and more. I think mobile gaming is amazing, GREAT value and just so much variety. I'll always buy a game on release as i want the dev to get maximum value. Depressing how many cheapskates there are though
They are dumb kids or dumb adults who cannot realize that there are so many masterpieces on ios,they think that only shitty free2play games work well on ios just like the console kids who hate on quality ios games,you have NO IDEA how much hate Bioshock received the day it was announced for ios and IT HAS SUCCEEDED JUST LIKE XCOM.

Just ignore them,eventually they will realize that playing shitty energy bar,timer games is not the definition of fun because such games provide no fun of whatsoever compared to the games of the same genre but with a price tag.

It was always like that - lazy people who don't wanna spend money will never disappear,but maybe,just maybe,they will realize that laziness is not worth loosing so much fun from playing games.

PS If people complain about the game or lower the rating of the game cause they cannot play properly because of controls then probably something is wrong with their hands,I can play Monster hunter,Bioshock and other AAA quality ios games easily without a useless controller (oh well,maybe that's because I've been an ios gamer for 3 years...)
06-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Said it a lot of times before but on my phone....

Duke Nukem, Doom, Wolfenstein, Sonic I and II, Bastion, KOTOR, Bioshock, Atari, Activision classic old games.

A couple of emulators, tons more AAA games, huge RPG's, great Cave shoot em ups, tons of platformers and other games

All on one device in the palm of my hand, love it !!
06-11-2015, 09:06 AM
I paid about $40 on MHFU on iOS coz i had to buy the JP version before the NA version came out

The others i think the most i paid arent as expensive simply because they are mostly episodic like in Telltale games.

That said, i am currently pretty strict with my purchases (having the one-purchase-per-week rule is one of them) so i can be really flexible with the price, but that would also mean i wont buy $0.99 titles even if it looks really good coz of the fact that i might be interested in something else.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post

That said, i am currently pretty strict with my purchases (having the one-purchase-per-week rule is one of them) so i can be really flexible with the price, but that would also mean i wont buy $0.99 titles even if it looks really good coz of the fact that i might be interested in something else.
That's a very smart approach. I find my limiting factor is often more time based instead of finances. It took me many years to figure out it's more enjoyable to dive deeply into a few quality games instead of sampling a bunch of games.

Last edited by klink; 06-11-2015 at 09:33 AM.
06-11-2015, 09:25 AM
I try to spend only 15$ per month lol
06-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
That's a very smart approach. I find my limiting factor is often more time based instead of finances. It took me many years to figure out it's more enjoyable to dive deeply into a few quality games instead of sampling a bunch of games.
Yup... that's one of my limiters too. The games i must buy now are something i can and must finish.

Coz of that i havent bought anything that's endless for some time now.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Like psj3809 I've been around for a long time (hey, psj, did you ever play the original Pong and Asteroids? ) , and with the memory distortion of old age the days where games cost 50+ bucks feel like yesterday to me.

I would pay 50+ today as well, if the game is good enough. Something like Chaos Rings III would cost what on a console these days, 40 bucks? No problem with paying the same on iOS. Maybe a little bit (say, 5 Euros) less because I do not get a physical copy of the game that I can keep for my kid (That's important to me. I still have my PS1. So who knows, maybe he'll play FF7 or something like that one day) .

As for spending limit:
Originally I had set myself a limit of 25 Euros per month. That gives you a lot of good stuff on iOS.
For comparison, the cheapest PS1/2 games you could get in Germany when those were the current console generation were the Platinum Editions for 20 Euros. Regular price was between 50 and 70 Euros, for ONE(!) game.

Well, even with that limit, I ended up having a huge bunch of games that I didn't finish yet or not even played at all.
So my new limit is "unless it's something really exceptional (like, say, a new Spiderweb release) , it goes onto the backburner until I finished all the other stuff or can say for sure that I won't complete game X and Y".

With my current backlog alone I'll be busy for a few years, and it constantly grows.

Last edited by Nullzone; 06-11-2015 at 10:28 AM.