★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Blockhouse - New Puzzle Game for $.99

09-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Blockhouse - New Puzzle Game for $.99

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that Blockhouse, my new puzzle game for the iPhone and iPod touch, has just been released on the iTunes App Store.

The concept is simple: Tilt or swipe left, right, up, or down, and all of the blocks will slide as far as they can. When every block is sitting on its target location, you’ve solved the puzzle.

Blockhouse contains 100 uniquely designed challenges. At $.99, that's less than a penny a puzzle!

App Store Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329855654&mt=8

Product Web Page: http://www.koryheath.com/blockhouse/

Feel free to respond to this post or stop by my blog at http://www.koryheath.com and let me know which puzzles were your favorites, as I'm beginning work on Blockhouse 2...

Kory Heath

Last edited by Kory Heath; 09-21-2009 at 11:09 PM.
09-21-2009, 09:15 AM
That sounds like a good idea; ill have to check it out. Its like slyder and double maze mixed together. Cool

09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
That sounds like a good idea; ill have to check it out. Its like slyder and double maze mixed together. Cool
Not a bad description! I haven't played Slyder, but I played Double Maze a while back. Some similarities, but also lots of differences. The blocks in Blockhouse always slide as far as they can, they're often not square, and they often exist in the same space, so they interact with each other and block each other, etc. Also, there's no falling off ledges in Blockhouse causing you to start the puzzle over. In Blockhouse, it's impossible to get any puzzle into an unwinnable state (although there's still a reset button if you want to get a fresh start).
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd say it looks more like Magnetic Block Puzzle, without the magnets, and with much larger playing fields.

Looks to be a fun game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Looks good like iTilt and Magnetic Block ...remember this is by Kory same guy who brought us Werewolf on iphone which I've used quite a bit.
Sidenote: please add option when someone is killed of not announcing who was killed.
09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Yep, it's in the iTilt and Magnetic Block family for sure. One big difference is how often you can get those other puzzles into unwinnable states (and sometimes not know it). In Magnetic Block puzzles especially, I use the reset button tons of times, because it's so easy to stick two blocks together in a way that makes the puzzle unsolvable. (I haven't played the Magnetic Block app, but I played those puzzles years ago on Andrea Gilbert's site.)

@mrbass: Your Werewolf feature request is noted. I'm always worried about adding stuff to Werewolf, because the logic of the game is quite intricate - there are lots of edge cases - and I don't want to break anything. But I'll add it to the list of things I'm considering adding...
09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
downloading now-looks neat
09-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Ok thanks Kory for at least considering it. Just been the way I've always played we make everyone shut their mouth when killed...seems to add to the tension and ticks them off to no end. Here is my werewolf thread on toucharcade.

Yes gonna have to get this blockhouse after all seems to be in the same league puzzle wise as the rest of those.
09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Another excellent puzzler that should get noticed!

This is a brilliant sliding brain teaser that looks deceptively simple. Solved 10 random puzzles in the first quadrant and I feel like I must give this game an impressions bump.

You can probably discern from the app description and dev posts what you are suppose to do. Tilt the device, get the shapes into position. You can slide it, but tilting feels more realistic for this game. It's a lot like Ivory Tiles.

You start off with one quadrant of the total selectable puzzles available. That's 25 puzzles. You finish one quadrant of puzzles, you unlock another quadrant and so on. (See the last screenshot in the first post).

The first puzzle I was led to the solution. Tilt in the direction of the arrow, and get the green block to that green-shaded square.

The second one, I got a question mark for following those arrows.

The question mark doesn't give you a clue, it's more of a reflection. "Ok where do I go now?" the player ask himself. Or rather it is asking the player, "what do you think you should do now?"

(And that was the last time anything was that straight-forward in this game ever again. )

Basically, you have to start figuring out how to slide your block to its marked square of the same color. By the fifth puzzle, I realized this really does take a bit of figuring out. (No timer, thank goodness. ) I can see from those screenshots of later levels, that it is indeed going to get challenging. It might be that this is the first of this sort of puzzlers that I've got, so I find it so.

Note: If one of the blocks reach its goal position, it will not stick there. So all the movable blocks have to reach goal positions (marked squares of their respective colors) at the same time for the puzzle to be considered beaten, which is what makes this tilt puzzle challenging.

Graphics - nice and bright. Simple interface. Turn the tilt control on or off if you want to use your finger to swipe the blocks. Reset button to put all the blocks into starting position. Touch the level indicator to exit to level selection screen.

Sounds - nice click-clack of blocks hitting the walls of the puzzle and each other. No background music -- I don't think it needs one and I can listen to my own ipod library for this game.

This puzzle is worth its price and more, imho.

Suggestion:

It might be nice to have a move counter, so players can challenge themselves to solve the puzzle with as few moves as possible.

Last edited by Ravenblack; 09-23-2009 at 07:56 AM.
09-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Ravenblack, thanks for the great write-up!

Regarding move-counts, I'm still thinking about it. If you're interested, there's a short discussion going on about it here: http://www.koryheath.com/2009/09/21/...able/#comments