★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Let Beast Bound prove to you that classic, story driven, and turn based RPGs have not been forgotten!

Saddle up with Cappi, your fellow beast-hunter and magical floating cat-panion, and dive into the lush island of Manaden, a vast world teeming with colorful characters and belligerent beasts.

Suddenly, your once failing beast hunting business is now booming! Sure, the world is overrun with dangerous monsters, but the jobs are just pouring in which is a good thing, right?... right?

Docile piglets are taking up pitchforks and prodding their masters, plants have come to life and are wreaking havoc at a 2nd grade level but, on the bright side, out of work monster hunters are suddenly back in business!

That's where YOU come in!

But what could have triggered such a calamity? Why are beasts suddenly raining chaos on the island of Manaden? That's the type of question a destitute monster hunter would ask if BUSINESS WASN'T BOOMING! GET OUT THERE AND GET THAT GOLD ON A WILD...

ADVENTURE!

Take the lead and forge deep into Manaden with your old pal Cappi, your magic floating cat-panion! Together the two of you will discover deep woods, sandy beaches, leaky caves and unravel the...

MYSTERY!

Let's take a step back- what's going on here? Things were going great for Manadens many colorful inhabitants until just recently. The days were long and lazy but now they're short and scary and teeming with...

BEASTS!

The once tranquil lands are suddenly run amok with nasty beasties ranging from the odd to the terrifying. Make their time on this planet short and memorable by taking them out in heated...

BATTLES!

Take up arms (or fists, hammers, and swords, whatever floats your boat) and beat back the endless waves of beasts as they wash over Manaden. Smack, slash, and smash your way toward piles and piles of...

TREASURE!

Greedily lap up the gold and the many riches the world of Beast Bound has to offer. Your adventure will be riddled with luxuries such as the much coveted... Butterball? This and much more lie tucked away in the many nooks and crannies just waiting for you to scoop them up and use them in...

CRAFTING!

Head back to your workshop to combine items you find out in the world into useful materials like the health potion and savage weapons like the Whump Stump and Wereclaw! Use these items to increase your beast smashin' abilities or sell them to friends...

ONLINE!

Jump on the workshop's data-box and sell and buy items as well as visit your friend's workshops! Buy low, sell high and don't forget to show off your sweet...

COSTUMES!

Dive deep into your wardrobe and resurface as the beautiful, self expressive butterfly you are! Treat yo' self to a variety of costumes as well as some special outfits with more on the way!

If you can read all of the above, congratulations! You have met our...

LITERARY PREREQUISITES!

This game is chock full of all kinds of words so we sure hope you can read! If youve made it this far, youll probably be fine. If youve been faking it up 'til now, color us impressed.

Lt. Action's comments:

Check out our trailer, ya'll!

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-17-2015, 09:44 PM
This looks promising. Going by the description alone, I'm already highly amused!

06-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Video Trailer

Last edited by psj3809; 06-18-2015 at 11:05 AM.
06-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Just by reading the description make me eager to try this game. Going to play this after work
06-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Seems like a cool cartoony Monster Hunter. But the price tag of free worries me. Is it f2p or is there a full unlock??
06-17-2015, 11:32 PM
The trailer and description are very energetic but the price gives me pause, and not really sure about the gameplay either.

"Don't Do This Or You'll Get Banned"
Unnecessary Sass Towards The Admins
06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
You guys <3

Truly, I aim to please and my aim is DEADLY. DEADLY!

I'm tickled so, so pink that you all find entertainment value in my writing! That is my free gift to you. You know what else is my free gift to you? THE WHOLE FREAKIN' GAME!

Curtisrshideler and Sapphire_Neo, ya'll are justified in your concerns. I'd be wary, too, if I strolled into a game, got super invested in it, then took one big happy step forward only to have a pay-wall slam down on my foot.

Here's the skinny, the scoop, the brassest of tacks- we use a free to play model, I confess it. We are, however, very, very keen on our non-paying players having a great experience alongside our paying players.

We did our best to make paying for anything feel like an option rather than a necessity. There isn't a single purchase that you MUST make in order to advance, scout's honor. Over half of our IAP are cosmetic only (with so, so much more on the way). We are very concerned that, if a purchase cha-chings out of your phone, it's because you wanted to, not because you felt you had to.

I've already heard from two separate players that they've made an in app purchase solely because they were won over by the charm and humor of our game. (How was THAT for a thinly veiled sale's pitch? I kid you not, though, this is the first time in my career that I've ever had a player tell me that. I cannot overstate how engorged I am with joy and maternal bliss to hear it.)

All of that said, with ya'll's stances on f2p games, if ya give it a whirl I would love your feedback on how we did. If we did our jobs right, you should get hours of enjoyment out of this game without ever feeling stymied.

Last edited by Lt. Action; 06-18-2015 at 12:16 AM.
06-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Action View Post
You guys <3

Truly, I aim to please and my aim is DEADLY. DEADLY!

I'm tickled so, so pink that you all find entertainment value in my writing! That is my free gift to you. You know what else is my free gift to you? THE WHOLE FREAKIN' GAME!

Curtisrshideler and Sapphire_Neo, ya'll are justified in your concerns. I'd be wary, too, if I strolled into a game, got super invested in it, then took one big happy step forward only to have a pay-wall slam down on my foot.

Here's the skinny, the scoop, the brassest of tacks- we use a free to play model, I confess it. We are, however, very, very keen on our non-paying players having a great experience alongside our paying players.

We did our best to make paying for anything feel like an option rather than a necessity. There isn't a single purchase that you MUST make in order to advance, scout's honor. Over half of our IAP are cosmetic only (with so, so much more on the way). We are very concerned that, if a purchase cha-chings out of your phone, it's because you wanted to, not because you felt you had to.

I've already heard from two separate players that they've made an in app purchase solely because they were won over by the charm and humor of our game. (How was THAT for a thinly veiled sale's pitch? I kid you not, though, this is the first time in my career that I've ever had a player tell me that. I cannot overstate how engorged I am with joy and maternal bliss to hear it.)

All of that said, with ya'll's stances on f2p games, if ya give it a whirl I would love your feedback on how we did. If we did our jobs right, you should get hours of enjoyment out of this game without ever feeling stymied.
I appreciate your feedback and so quick too. I'll give it a download and try it out. I'm a sucker for Monster Hunter and the cats, so I am interested. I just love the premium model, so it's hard for me to find it peaceful investing time into the f2p model. But I am open to being enlightened on this one.
06-18-2015, 12:58 AM
Well, downloaded it and played for a bit. It's definitely not my style. I was hoping for a little more Monster Hunter meets Final Fantasy III. Anyway, as a premium gamer, I was curious what would happen if my health fully depleted. Would it recharge over time or only be replenished by items won in battle/potions? Also, I didn't care for the timers on potions. I sat there watching my screen for a minute. Buzz kill. And then the price of clearing out the workshop seemed steep. 1000 gold to clear one pile of bills. Cute and funny idea, but it might take a while to do that, let alone clean the rest all while saving up for gear or whatnot.

However, the writing is full of wit and whimsy. Enjoyed that quite a bit. And the cartoon graphics are pleasing. The music isn't my taste, but I can see others liking it. And controls are tap-to-move, which does work here. Overall, as a premium gamer, I'm not quite swayed. But I appreciate what you're doing and hope the best for you and the project. I'm sure there'll be plenty of gamers who want a turn-based cartoony Monster Hunter but don't want to pay anything upfront. And I'll send them all your way! Congrats on the release.
06-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Well, downloaded it and played for a bit. It's definitely not my style. I was hoping for a little more Monster Hunter meets Final Fantasy III. Anyway, as a premium gamer, I was curious what would happen if my health fully depleted. Would it recharge over time or only be replenished by items won in battle/potions? Also, I didn't care for the timers on potions. I sat there watching my screen for a minute. Buzz kill. And then the price of clearing out the workshop seemed steep. 1000 gold to clear one pile of bills. Cute and funny idea, but it might take a while to do that, let alone clean the rest all while saving up for gear or whatnot.

However, the writing is full of wit and whimsy. Enjoyed that quite a bit. And the cartoon graphics are pleasing. The music isn't my taste, but I can see others liking it. And controls are tap-to-move, which does work here. Overall, as a premium gamer, I'm not quite swayed. But I appreciate what you're doing and hope the best for you and the project. I'm sure there'll be plenty of gamers who want a turn-based cartoony Monster Hunter but don't want to pay anything upfront. And I'll send them all your way! Congrats on the release.
Glad to see you gave it a go. I was skeptical and as a premium gamer myself I had my eyes set on some other titles first. I did enjoy the developers comment above. It was clever. However I cannot afford to play games like that on top of my already expensive premium game addiction. Boom Beach was one of the first games that really got me. There's a real sickness involved with playing games like that, spending a few hundred dollars over time and then eventually deleting them. It ruins the possibility for nostalgia down the road.

Either way this is cute. Glad the Dev was honest about it being that type of game and moreover happy to see you give it an honest go with real feedback.