★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

WordHue - a colorful word puzzle game

06-23-2015, 03:30 PM
WordHue - a colorful word puzzle game

Hello, this is Beardy Software, and I'm working on a new color-filled word game called WordHue.

Taking inspiration from classic word games, WordHue adds a colorful new twist. Play in either timed or turns mode, with daily puzzles and color schemes to unlock!

Every time you create a word, it's color changes, and the letter values increase. Shorter words create black tiles, that cannot be used for a few turns, while longer words create special double and triple word tiles.

Currently looking for beta testers ... if you like word games, let me know and I can send you a beta invite.

For iphone4, 5, 5s, 6, 6+ and iPads.
06-23-2015, 03:34 PM
You know, this looks kinda cool. Makes me think of a periodic table, which is weirdly exciting.

What are the mechanics like, how does it work? You say "create a word", but is it like a word find? Can you use letters that aren't adjacent?

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.

06-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Yeah, at it's heart it is a basic boggle word find kind of game. At the base of the play field is a color meter (you can see it in the screenshots ... a number of small empty squares). These squares represent how many tiles you need to turn that color in order to advance to the next level. Once you do that, you are granted more turns (or time) to try to match the colors of the next color meter. It goes on like that until you run out of turns or time.

If you re-use a letter enough times, it will turn into a rainbow tile, worth 10x normal letter value. Rainbow tiles grant access to the bonus round... the more you make, the longer your bonus round lasts.
06-23-2015, 04:40 PM
I'll beta test! Email is Nitecatchr@aol.com
06-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
I'll beta test! Email is Nitecatchr@aol.com
Great, I'll send you an invite.

Just a reminder though... Don't sign into game center when prompted. Real gamecenter ids will cause the game to crash.
06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Actually, it didn't prompt it, at least that I noticed...will you add an option to pause to a menu or go back to the main menu mid-game in the final build?

So far it's running smoothly, I am looking forward to unlocking more themes.

Thanks for the invite!
06-23-2015, 08:08 PM
yeah, it probably should have a pause menu, thanks for the suggestion!
06-23-2015, 10:19 PM
You're welcome. This is a great word game.
Would you consider changing the icon?
06-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
You're welcome. This is a great word game.
Would you consider changing the icon?
yeah, I'm certainly not married to the icon. What did you have in mind? I guess I was just trying to avoid the standing "word tile with a letter" for an icon.
06-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardysoftware View Post
yeah, I'm certainly not married to the icon. What did you have in mind? I guess I was just trying to avoid the standing "word tile with a letter" for an icon.
I hear you there. Though in your case maybe a W with a little H next to it wouldn't be horrible. Or, you know how you have the colored stripes going across the top of the screen? Take one of the color themes and make an icon-length version of that- I don't know how else to explain it.