★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Lite vs. Web demo... both?

09-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Lite vs. Web demo... both?

I just finished my latest iPhone game, Waste Paper Basket Ball Diaries (Upcoming Game Thread). Catchy title, I know. Since it's built using Unity3d I have the ability to make a "lite" version for the web, iphone or both.

Any thoughts about building a "lite" web demo to promote a game? Have you or someone you know used this approach? Any success? The one game I can think of is Canabalt, but it's going from flash to iPhone, not the other way around.

P.S. The game can be played with the mouse so the controls aren't limited to the iPhone.
09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
i did a web demo for my unity3d game.. but that was mainly because i didnt want to wait weeks for it to come through apple.
but... i think it would have helped my game better if i had done a lite on device, so if youve time .. id go that route.
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
lite version is best if you only do one. You have a better chance of getting exposure. Most people aren't going to find your game by going to your website. The only chance you have in that direction is word of mouth.

Both is the best if you can manage it. And by manage it I mean that the web version doesn't take away from the experienceó if it doesn't translate well to a web game I'd avoid it altogether.
09-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I am using Unity too. It's so easy to export a web version using Unity.
I am afraid we have to reduce some features in the web version, like lite.
Well, I am also confused with the lite version of Fight Desert.

Quote:
--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------