Which are the best ways to get installs and ratings?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AnaGar, Jul 2, 2015.

1. AnaGar

AnaGar New Member

Jul 2, 2015
    #1 AnaGar, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Hi!

I am new here and i would want to ask you which are the best ways you usually use to get installs and ratings for your games, because sometimes when i launch a game or app, my problem is how to promote it or how to get good installs or ratings.

Which techniques do you use?

I have tried those:
    - Admob (https://www.google.es/admob/), to promote them and get installs
    - Facebook ads. (https://www.facebook.com/advertising) The same, to get installs.
    - Reviewsmotion (http://reviewsmotion.com/) - A review exchange community where i get free installs + ratings. This is one of the best ways on the last days, but i would want to know other ideas!

I hope you share the ways you have

Sorry for my english!! It is not my main language :-(

2. mindmagicgames

mindmagicgames Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Game Developer
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Facebook and Ask for ratings

I would recommend Facebook Ads because it allows great targeting so you can get very specific for your target audience. From my last test, it was really effective in getting installs.

For ratings, I would strongly recommend asking for them in your app. Make sure that you are asking for a review in a place that makes sense and where the user has a positive feeling towards your app. Examples would be beating a level, receiving a reward, or accomplishing a goal within the app.

Hope this helps!

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    pay per install via an advertising service.

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Pay per install (a la Tap Joy) is the only guaranteed way to get the installs you want. Other types of ads are cheaper yes, but perform a heckovalot worse.

As for ratings, asking in a non-intrusive way within the app itself, perhaps with an in-game reward attached to it, has shown the best results on my projects. Note: automatic 'at this point display rate me pop-ups' are not what I'm talking about. Those work about as well as anything automated, but targeted messages to players when you need ratings works wonders.

5. uriweru

uriweru Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I've utilized Facebook Ads in the past and I found them to be a huge waste of money. How recent did you use facebook ads?

6. dayrn

dayrn New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I am not expert in this but i have one suggestion

There are many ways to gain installs and ratings to your app. In recent i tried facebook ads for my one app and got installs at good price. But The main issue is fb ads works well for gaming apps and few high competition market. I tried same way for my other app but it did not work well and costed me too much.
    I tried one more website for this work and bought 60 android reviews for starting testing from www.buyappreviews247.com/ and got fast service the main part is i started getting more natural reviews after this marketing work. Which is more important. so according to my suggestion you can use same kind of website but talk with them before making payment.

7. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Same here, CPI was over $1, you only end up buying likes and comments, who the hell cares about that?

8. Jigglybean Games

Jigglybean Games Well-Known Member

You must not use Facebook for advertising. They use click farms, so you will most certainly get the impressions but I am yet to find a single soul who managed to achieve any kind of downloads. It is a total waste of money.

9. inque54

inque54 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Facebook is a bit hit or miss. We usually try to do campaigns that are 3 days with varying success. I'm still not fully convinced that Facebook ads is a total waste of money since I want to experiment more on different type of creatives (images, videos, gif).

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Buying reviews is a pretty damn disreputable thing to do.

11. AdoreGames

AdoreGames Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    One of the smoothest ways to get ratings is to seek forums like TA and find there threads like "App review exchange" where fellow developers assist each other mutually reviewing the games. We tend to think that almost on each forum related to gaming on both iOS and Android there're such threads. You just need to dig in a bit.;)

As of installs, which are pretty expensive these days, Facebook is one of the best options with all its targeting options. We also once had the ~CPI=1,60 in UK and CA, but it's near those numbers that chartboost has.