Essential Mac Apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ninjackid, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Just got a MacBook Pro, what would you say are some must-have apps? Shoot me all your suggestions, could be anything; games, productivity, etc. Thanks!

2. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    [​IMG]

Also, your request should be more specific. Not sure what the point of a thread is where everyone is slurring names of random games and programs.

3. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #3 Adams Immersive, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    FlatOut 2 on the App Store is awesome--and I'm not even a driving fan.

Amnesia (horror series). Portal series and Dear Esther (art "game") on Steam.

ControllerMate (non-App Store) is amazing if you like the idea of customizing mice and game controllers (even MIDI controllers) using drag-and-drop flowchart programming to make them do any crazy thing you can think of! It's a reason I game on Mac more than windows.

Examples: I made long-presses assisgnable to add more "buttons" to my mouse and gamepad. And I turned my Logitech gamepad into a remote control for DVDs and music. And I made my Razer mouse's LED light act as a power light for my Apple keyboard, to remember to put it to sleep!

Non-games.... Depends on your profession! TextWrangler is a free and terrific text editor. Poke around the Utilities folder in Applications though: some pretty powerful stuff is pre-installed.

And don't forget, Apple's QuickTime Player can record audio/video of your iOS screen!

4. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    #4 darkhorse, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    PopClip. $3.99 at the time of this post but it gets A LOT of use from me. Simply highlight/double click any text and you'll basically get the options you'll normally get by "Right Clicking" without actually having to right click (and more options with extensions!). Great app. Try it for free. Free trial

Alfred. Free. You can search for your files quickly on your mac.

VLC.

The Unarchiver. Opens Zip, RAR files etc.