Deflecto - A Mobile Arcade Game for iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by zxy, Jul 6, 2015.

1. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    motion graphics for advertising at T3
    Austin, TX
    #1 zxy, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Hi TouchArcade,

This is my first post, but I'm a long-time reader and big fan of the site.

I've been developing this game on the side of my full-time job for the past two years, and I'm finally ready to share it with the world. I started with little-to-no experience in unity or coding, so it's been quite a journey from a rough idea in my head to this almost-finished product. My background is in art direction, video and motion graphics for advertising. I was also a passionate hobbyist musician for years (before fatherhood :), so all the music and most sound effects in the game are mine as well.

I hope this will be the first of many mobile arcade games for zxy. And if there's enough interest, I'd love to refine Deflecto to be a great game, so any feedback is much appreciated. My plan is to release it before the end of July, so stay tuned and thanks for your time.

Brian Williams
    zxy

Here is the teaser trailer:
    https://youtu.be/PwrABEvWdGw

Deflecto - A Mobile Arcade Game Coming Soon for iPhone and iPad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Defend tiny, peaceful cities from menacing enemy clouds. Your weapon is your finger; It has the power to deflect anything these angry clouds drop.

Tap the meteors to send them back toward the clouds and ultimately destroy them. Drag your finger over multiple objects to deflect many with one swipe. Find hidden eggs and collect their falling gems to boost your city’s health. The more clouds you destroy, the faster and trickier they will become; And so must your fingers.

Test your reflexes with intense, fast-paced arcade action. Beat 9 insanely difficult levels; Defend 9 minimalist 3d isometric cities.

- many different types of meteors to deflect
    - power-ups that boost your deflection power
    - realistic physics simulation
    - charmingly animated mini-cities
    - original chip tune soundtrack and sound effects
    - Game Center achievements

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zxygames2015
    For beta testing or more information contact [email protected]

2. Stephan0711

Stephan0711 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Looks interesting, email sent for beta.

3. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Deflecto Concept Art

I built most of this game digitally, but I just ran across some concept sketches I did in the very early stages. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

4. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Deflecto personified

What Deflecto might look like as a character

Attached Files:

5. bigbearballs

bigbearballs New Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Could I get a deflecto mini fig?

6. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    thumbcapes promotion

minifig, eh? I was thinking more along the lines of little thumbcapes with face stickers for your thumbnail.

7. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Time for Beta Testing

Good news! A rough-around-the-edges version of Deflecto was approved for beta testing today. Shoot me an email with your apple id email address and device type/generation and I'll sign you up for beta testing.

thanks!
    Brian
    zxy

8. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    So Sayeth Greg the Sphinx!

send me an email and I will invite you to beta test. requires ios8 and a relatively new device.

Attached Files:

9. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Noob Dev

For humor purposes only, this is one of my first attempts to understand how the game mechanics could work. I imagined some hexagonal prism with all the cities parented and rotating/sliding. I guess that could've worked but seems ridiculous now.

Attached Files:

10. Graygor

Graygor New Member

Jul 19, 2015
    The sounds in the trailer take me back to Astroids. And I like that FarmVille is under attack, but I vow to defend.

Send me beta instructions, pot favor! Email sent.

11. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Invited

Thanks, Gary! You have been invited via Testflight. Let me know what you think when you get a chance. Cheers!

12. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    A Blast! Unique game

I've been beta testing this for the last few days, it's a blast! Very fast-paced, intense and super difficult. Controls are great. Especially after playing the "how to play" level. Ads are not too intrusive.

I've never seen anything quite like this...it definitely mixes game genres, brick-breaker but more like a shmup with a retro feel. I really dig the isometric camera view

I'm curious, how did you build this?

I'll be happy to review it on the app store when it hits. good luck!

rw

13. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Making Deflecto

Thanks Roman, that's great to hear! So awesome when people get what you were going for.

To create Deflecto, I used Unity3d with an add-on called Probuilder - it allowed me to build all the geometry within unity. I highly recommend it. Aside from that, I used UnityScript with a twist of iTween for some animations.

Here's an early screenshot from mid-2014 - I was still discovering the tools but I could see the potential.

Attached Files:

14. Graygor

Graygor New Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Cool game- I need to practice

Thanks for the invite- my son, 8, and I have been enjoying Deflecto for a few days. After saying "cool!" He commented, "This is hard!"
    A buddy and his son came over today and all four of us Airplayed Deflector on the big screen- ''twas pretty cool!

Few questions from the boys: When the sky flashes, is that the end of a round/level? Will you add score, health meters or badges with the release?

Looking forward to the release- thanks!

15. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    minimalistically difficult

Thanks for the feedback, Gary! I’m so glad you expanded your beta testing to multiple users, and multiple generations.

These are great questions:

The concept is intended to be a very minimalistic approach to arcade game design. While there is no written indication about moving to the next stage, you learn in the first level that there is a pattern of defeating three clouds - what you’re seeing is the sky brighten between clouds. Deflect is kind of a learn-as-you-go experience. The how level gives you limited training and you have to figure out the rest.

There is no numeric score displayed. This is just a personal decision, those huge arbitrary score numbers never made sense to me. For Deflecto, it’s all about surviving the level and unlocking the next.

There are health bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The top is for the current enemy cloud, and the bottom is your city’s health. The cloud’s health bar fills back up when the next cloud descends.

There are GameCenter achievements for completing levels, completing levels with no damage, and finding hidden eggs.

I’m glad they think it’s hard. I was aiming for a donkey-kong level of difficulty and hand-eye agility.

16. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Beta testing final release, launching July 30th

Beta testing has begun on what I hope will be the final release of Deflecto. Fingers crossed on a speedy approval from the Granny Smith gods. Aiming for July 30th!

17. Graygor

Graygor New Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Frustratingly fun

Thanks for the thorough replies; a little more attention and practice and maybe we'll figure this one out!

18. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    In Review! Last Chance for Beta Testing, lots of spots open! Launching on July 30th!

the latest version of Deflecto has entered In Review Status. If I hear back soon enough, I'll be launching tomorrow.

If anyone wants this free, become a beta tester.

peace,
    Brian
    zxy

19. romanwilly

romanwilly Active Member

Jul 21, 2015
    thumbs crossed

great news! i have my deflecto thumbs crossed for your approval :D

20. zxy

zxy Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Deflecto is approved for the app store!

I just read the three words all first-time wanna-be noob iOS developers long for…pending. developer. release. It’s like Apple saying I love you.

Deflect0 coming really soon now. I guess I need to post in that other forum, eh?