★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How Important is Game Center for a successful iOS game

07-07-2015, 11:35 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
How Important is Game Center for a successful iOS game

As an indie team we are trying to see if it is worth while to add game center to steel grit? It seems really important to many people on touch arcade.

Do you think we should incorporate Game Center and remove our custom achievement system?
07-08-2015, 04:22 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: England
Posts: 24
We're using it on our title Fallen, but thats mostly because its very easy in Construct2 and we want to get featured by Apple! The more of their services you tie into, the more they're likely to feature you (as long as its not detrimental to the experience anyway).

Artist at Teaboy Games currently developing our beautifuly minimal reaction game, Fallen

07-08-2015, 06:22 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Liberty city
Posts: 3,494
I may be one of the few but I've never looked at the Game Center... I think mine may even be deleted as I can't find it on my icons.
Never knew I had friends that played
07-08-2015, 10:24 AM
#4
I know it helps for getting featured by apple
infact if you will not include it, i think you dont have any chance to get a feature by apple
07-08-2015, 10:26 AM
#5
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayg2015 View Post
I may be one of the few but I've never looked at the Game Center... I think mine may even be deleted as I can't find it on my icons.
Never knew I had friends that played
Agreed. Never look at it. Doesn't influence my purchase at all.
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: NYC suburbs (New Jersey)
Posts: 1,530
It highly influences my decision. I have easily spent over $4,000.00 on games/IAPs and Game Center is almost a requirement when I consider my purchases. Achievements rather than leaderboards...

I used to enjoy Openfeint but that is long gone.

240,000+ Game Center Achievement points
Gamecenter ID: Donny K76
PSN ID: donnydj76
Let's go Yankees!
07-08-2015, 02:11 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 339
Not important to me in the least. I got burnt out on achievement hunting from XBox Live and just prefer to play games now.
07-08-2015, 03:43 PM
#8
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDJ76 View Post
It highly influences my decision. I have easily spent over $4,000.00 on games/IAPs and Game Center is almost a requirement when I consider my purchases. Achievements rather than leaderboards...

I used to enjoy Openfeint but that is long gone.
I also love achievements. I always look if a game has achievements. If it does then it's instabuy for me. If it doesn't, I always go "priority to games including them so I will come back for that later on".
From a consumer point of view, it shows devs went that extra length to make their game more "complete" and came up with original and whacky ideas to have their games played differently then intended by having players modify their gameplay or "git good" to be able to unlock them.
Also, as a consumer, I have the feeling to squeeze out more of a game with achievements coz it forces me to get better and spend more time with the game instead of just beating the main path and get things over with. The sense of accomplishment of having that notif pop up when you sweat and stress over a difficult achievement.
Finally, GC related, I have a very bad i pression when devs port their games to iOS without GC integration, when the game itself had trophies on all previous platforms it was released on. Most Steam games ported to iOS have that "problem" (Cognition, Blackwell series etc). It gives me this sense that devs were lazy and didn't include something that was previously "part of the game".
Anyway that's my mentality and you can find it silly. But I love having complete backlogs of games I fully beat, and it's just super nice to scroll a list of all the games you 100% because it constitute a "gaming diary" of all your life as a gamer.
07-08-2015, 04:36 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,774
None at all. Don't use game centre. If a game doesn't have game centre I don't mind at all

Think it's odd when people will only get a game if it has game centre
07-08-2015, 04:40 PM
#10
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemerleb View Post
Finally, GC related, I have a very bad i pression when devs port their games to iOS without GC integration, when the game itself had trophies on all previous platforms it was released on. Most Steam games ported to iOS have that "problem" (Cognition, Blackwell series etc). It gives me this sense that devs were lazy and didn't include something that was previously "part of the game".
Although I said game center is not at all important to me, I do like this point.