★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

No Game Center, Why is it that a deal breaker?

07-11-2015, 08:08 PM
No Game Center, Why is it that a deal breaker?

just curious and not trolling.

I see a lot of comments about Game Center. It would seem like not having it is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I'm curious why? I don't ever open it or have friends so I don't really know what it offers other than high score rankings.

About the only deal breaker for me are games with a large install size without iCloud game saves.

I absolutely love Card Crawl, probably in my top five iOS games. But I quit playing and won't go back after having to delete to install something I needed the space for temporarily.
07-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Seems like games can use GameCenter instead of Facebook to continue progress between devices - which I think a lot of people prefer?

07-12-2015, 01:06 AM
I thought only iCloud saves let you play cross device?
07-12-2015, 02:12 AM
Some players like the global hi-scores gamecenter provides. Some like to compare with friends and gamecenter provides that as well.

Then there are some that are into completing achievements, and game center provides a universal way to tal your achievement points across all games that have it.

Although this may not be a popular reason to want GC, it also provides a non-intrusive way to connect multiplayer games together.
07-12-2015, 03:53 AM
Without achievements (and a leaderboard), a game is limited by the content the developers have put into the package.
Well-made achievements (and again, a leaderboard) extend the life of a game and let players get more mileage out of the content.

Then there's the typical sense-of-achievement yadda yadda.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
07-12-2015, 05:03 AM
So do these people not play any emulators as there no achievements ?

A nice to have I can understand but people avoiding games unless there achievements is crazy
07-12-2015, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
So do these people not play any emulators as there no achievements ?

A nice to have I can understand but people avoiding games unless there achievements is crazy
I wouldnt call that crazy, but i dont think there's a better word either.
07-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
Without achievements (and a leaderboard), a game is limited by the content the developers have put into the package.
Well-made achievements (and again, a leaderboard) extend the life of a game and let players get more mileage out of the content.

Then there's the typical sense-of-achievement yadda yadda.
For me, game center depends on the game. An RPG, I could care less. However, a game that is short, and has essentially only one way through the game, well done achievements add to the desire to play the game again. There are not too many short games that I played through once that I have long lasting good feelings about - or else I wish that there would be something that would make replaying the game have some freshness to it - clever, well thought out achievements can accomplish that.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-12-2015, 01:03 PM
What is a "yadda yadda"? o_O

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
07-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Watch Seinfeld :��

240,000+ Game Center Achievement points
Gamecenter ID: Donny K76
PSN ID: donnydj76
Let's go Yankees!