Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default Waste Paper Basket Ball Diaries out now!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

It's the video that really sells this game as a potential Paper Toss beater:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Wow, loving the video. Once someone TOFFT, I just might consider it. Controls make or break games like this (depending on how sensitive or reliable they are).
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
iPhone 4

Downloading. Impressions soon.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Awesomez
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 PM
iPhone 4

Okay. To start with, this is a Unity monster, which accounts for its almost 20mb size. It's in 3D, but it doesn't look like it; it appears that the objects in the game -- co-workers, desks, computers, etc. are all modleled in 3D so the paper balls can bounce off them realistically, but are all given that 2D paper cutout look, which I actually find kind of cool.

As far as gameplay goes, it's fairly simple. Incoming memos, printouts and "Special projects" appear in your inbox at the bottom. Tap on one, then drag the resulting sheet around to crumple it into a ball; without letting go, drag and lift to shoot the paper into a wire paper recepticle, or a coworker's inbox, or the roving mail cart. Or other co-workers. You don't have to wait for one to land to grab and crumple another, which is kind of nice. You get points for the difficulty of the shot and bonus points if you score using printouts or special projects. There are two modes of play: Career offers you different levels, while crunch is a single-level timed session to score as many baskets as possible.

Now, maybe it's just because I suck, but I found making baskets frustratingly difficult. Obviously, it's based on how hard you toss the paper that determines how far it flies, but shoot too hard and it seems to fly off into space or something. The flat paper cutout look of the game also makes it hard to gauge distances, and there are no meters or other means of quantifying distances or strength of throw. The difficulty in gauging distances also factors when you're trying to shoot beside or over obstacles, such as the basket right beside immediate the desk in crunch mode; I had a hard time scoring even in that basket. The responsiveness also felt a bit sluggish, which made me instinctively want to carry out my shots more slowly than I'd like to, just to make sure that it picked up my intended movements. That combined with your shots flying off into space if they're too hard made me feel like I had to play within a set of mechanical boundaries that I found a little uncomfortable.

It's a fun little game and has loads of potential, but it feels like it needs some optimization. The thing about Paper Toss was that it was simple, kind of like a one-player artillery game; aim your shot, factor for the wind made by the fan, and shoot. The additional crumpling mechanics in Waste Paper Basket Ball are fun and add some realism to the game, but get a little bit tedious after a while since it takes several strokes before it's crumpled into a ball, and combined with the slightly lethargic response and aiming difficulty, it added up to a game that started to become a little more frustrating than fun.

It's a fun novelty right now, and for a buck I'd say it's still worth it just to play around and sample the light humour, but I would say pick it up only contingent upon the developer hopefully addressing these issues.

Last edited by Mindfield; 09-22-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

The only problem i have with this game is that it logs me out of feint everytime i try to upload my score, so it never goes. I got several hundred, and then uploaded score, only to find out feint hates me... Also, when holding at the target i want to hit, it doesnt get to it. its all trial and error for me. The basket guy also is hard to get... grr.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Sorry for the OF problems xFinch713x. They just started supporting unity so there are probably some bugs. Were you on the edge network or wireless? The score should submit the next time you log into OF. Is it not, does your username show up as "null"?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
It's a fun little game and has loads of potential, but it feels like it needs some optimization. The thing about Paper Toss was that it was simple, kind of like a one-player artillery game; aim your shot, factor for the wind made by the fan, and shoot. The additional crumpling mechanics in Waste Paper Basket Ball are fun and add some realism to the game, but get a little bit tedious after a while since it takes several strokes before it's crumpled into a ball, and combined with the slightly lethargic response and aiming difficulty, it added up to a game that started to become a little more frustrating than fun.
wow, thanks for the feedback. I'm working on a lite version right now, but I'll try and address some of these issues. Until then... here are a couple of hints.

- always center you target, this is very important since the camera isn't locked.
- always release the ball in the center of the screen, unless there is wind.
- crumpling can be done in one stroke if you start at the top of the screen and pull downward. It does take some getting use to.
- power is based on how far the ball is from the bottom of the screen.