★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Found a free rummikub game!

12-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Found a free rummikub game!

I love rummikub and was looking for an iphone one. There was one which came out earlier and was not 1st gen compatible. A new free one came out today called Romi which also said 2nd gen only, but I emailed the developer and he changed it (said he got confused about requiring firmware 2.0 vs requiring ipod 2.0 which are different things). Anyway, I was so impressed with his fast and attentive response (and the game was free to boot) that I downloaded it.

My impression is, it is a serviceable basic rummikub game. No sound, which might bother some people or might not. Also, the tiles are TINY and there does not seem to be a zoom option. And a help file might have been nice---I know the rules of the game so I got right into it, but if there were preferences to change the settings (for example if you need to have a certain quota before you can play a hand) I did not know how to find these because there was no help screen.

Still, for a free game, it's not so bad and maybe if he gets some reviews about missing features, he might add them later.

Anyway, just an FYI for anyone who likes this sort of game...
12-20-2008, 10:11 PM
First that pink japanese game that no one explained, and no this. Could you give me a brief run-down on this rummikubub? Rummikibob? Kibobirum?

12-20-2008, 10:32 PM
So, you have tiles with numbers on them, and you have to make them into groups of 3 or more, in one of two ways:

Same number, different colour (e.g. a red 13, black 13, green 13)
Run of numbers all the same colour (red 3, red 4, red 5 etc.)

Once a group has been played, you can reshuffle its tiles to use up your own, so long as you always add something, and so long as you never leave a group with less than 3 tiles.

So for example let's say there is a red 3-4-5 on the board, and I want the red 3 to use with a green 3 and yellow 3 in my hand. I have a few choices. I could add a red 6 to extend the run, and then take off the 3 since there would be the minimum tiles left. or I could find other places on the board to unload the 4 and 5 and then free up the 3 for my use. I can be as creative as I want to in rearranging what's there as long as everything winds up in a legal grouping.

It's a great strategy game. It seems like this guy has a PC and Mac version he is selling for $15 apiece, so the ipod version is supposed to incite you to perhaps buy these. Maybe the extra prefs like setting a minimum for your opening run are available only in these expanded versions.
12-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Reminds me of Uno a bit I'd pick it up, but I did just blow $35...

Last edited by Kamazar; 12-20-2008 at 11:05 PM.
12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
It's nothing like Uno. And it's free so why not try it?
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I own Okey and it's pretty decent rummikub like. Just wish the instructions were in the app instead of wifi accessible. I forget how to play at times so when I'm out and about it's hard to remember how to play it.
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I own Okey too and it's an interesting variant. I was just really longing for the board full of tile groups that I could arrange and re-arrange at will All Romi needs is some zoom, and it would be perfect, but I can manage with it as it is.
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Hehe I also downloaded it, found that it was incompatible, emailed the developer and got a reply. Time to play some Romi now!

12-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the tip! There is only one computer opponent, but otherwise the game is presented just fine. The tiny cards are not too bad, as the UI is well designed.
12-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Here's Johnny... err, the link

Here is the link for Romi.