★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: "LetterWriter: Oceans" kids game is OUT

09-22-2009, 10:23 PM
"LetterWriter: Oceans" kids game is OUT

Just wanted to let people know that LetterWriter: Oceans is now available on the App Store.

LetterWriter: Oceans is an educational game / virtual toy for Kindergarteners and Pre-K kids to help them learn to draw their letter glyphs using the proper stroke order in a fun, undersea environment.

Kids earn starfish by drawing letters correctly in the underwater scenes, and when they earn enough, they unlock the storybook icon for each letter, which gives them a poem. The game is playable by kids as young as 2, from our testing.

You can see some gameplay video at the web site for the game.

App Store Link
09-22-2009, 10:58 PM
The graphics and gameplay both look really nice. Good luck to you!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
The graphics and gameplay both look really nice. Good luck to you!
Thanks!

We're especially interested in hearing from parents who buy the app, and what their kids think of it. If you pick it up for your child, let us know how he or she likes it (or better yet, whether it really helps them with their letter writing skills, which is our primary goal with the app).
09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I have similar app. Its called iWriteWords. By far the best app I`ve got for my 3.5 year old. Yours seem to improve on the formula by adding rewards. Probably no good for me as my son already knows all the alphabets by now. Anyways, Good luck with your app. It looks really nice
09-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Wow, this sounds like a really wholesome, simple, learning game.

I really wish you a lot of luck with this one.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
09-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
I have similar app. Its called iWriteWords. By far the best app I`ve got for my 3.5 year old. Yours seem to improve on the formula by adding rewards. Probably no good for me as my son already knows all the alphabets by now. Anyways, Good luck with your app. It looks really nice
Thanks. I'll check out iWriteWords. If you have any suggestions for future versions of LetterWriter Oceans based on your experience with iWriteWords, or just if anything occurs to you, let us know, because we're planning the next version of LetterWriter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat
Wow, this sounds like a really wholesome, simple, learning game.
Thanks, that's what we were shooting for.

A lot of children's games are goofy and cartoony in style, and we wanted to take a different approach - something a little more serene and realistic, which celebrates language rather than dumbing it down, and presents the animal kingdom in a more natural manner than the "talking animals" set. In other words, we wanted something like what you'd see in a museum or an aquarium, rather than at a theme park. From what we've seen, kids respond well to that, and come away with a richer experience overall.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback!
09-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingDogInteractive View Post
A lot of children's games are goofy and cartoony in style, and we wanted to take a different approach - something a little more serene and realistic, which celebrates language rather than dumbing it down, and presents the animal kingdom in a more natural manner than the "talking animals" set. In other words, we wanted something like what you'd see in a museum or an aquarium, rather than at a theme park. From what we've seen, kids respond well to that, and come away with a richer experience overall.
dont need this at the moment - son is a bit old and otherone is not quite there yet but totally agree with these sentiments

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"