Anyone got any advice on how to get featured by Google?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Columbo, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    #1 Columbo, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Been beavering away porting Rapture - World Conquest to Android and wondered if anyone had any advice about how to maximise the chances of getting featured?

We're trying to do all the things we think we need to to improve our chances:

- Supporting Google Play Game Services for leaderboards, achievements and real-time multiplayer
    - Making sure the back button behaves correctly everywhere
    - Making sure the app behaves correctly when multi-tasking/backgrounding.
    - Modifying our game icon to be a little more Android-y
    - Testing the crap out of the game on loads of devices and implementing fixes for every GLES driver bug we come across (and a few bugs of our own making too).
    - Optimizing things so the game runs as smoothly as possible on as many devices as possible.
    - Using Google's store for IAPs and Google's admob for ads.

In particular, are there any features that the Android editorial folk really like to see?

2. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Because Google doesn't review every apps on submission, I guess you will have to make some impression to them before getting featured.
    By impression, I mean your game should have some good amount of initial downloads to get noticed by their automated system before the people get in.

This is just my guess, I'm not expert in Google Play at all.

3. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Yeah, I read that somewhere. Can't seem to find the article I read it in, but it's repeated here https://www.gameacademy.com/get-app-featured-google-play/.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think having a contact in google would help. From my conversations with google they are looking but mainly outside of the gaming arena which I assume takes care of itself as a free market with a few of the big companies getting a helping hand. Of course I could be wrong but just the feeling I got and it isn't an area I am interested in with them currently so I haven't pushed it.