★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Making of KoriKori

07-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Making of KoriKori

KORIKORI
Hi Everyone, this is a story of KoriKori. I felt that there is a need for a casual yet smart game for mobile, something rewarding and respectful to the player, fun, unique and surprising. Almost oldschool game-boy kind of action but done for the modern day.

That is what I wanted to make. In the beginning of this year I joined forces with Sean-Li Murmann and together we embarked on a mission of making it, I take all design and art direction as well as PR while Sean writes all the awesome code.

This topic will be a devlog, I will be showing our choices and results, taking comments and feedback, etc.
We are 3 months into development and hoping to release KoriKori by the end of this year. Korikori will be an action puzzle game about eating a lot of green leaves while others fall in love and play tennis.

KoriKori has a website: http://www.korikori.co
I post updates etc on my twitter https://twitter.com/takemuraori.

Here is a comparison picture of overall progress:

On the left a proof of concept, that finally worked, that is perhaps a month + ago, on the right is how the game looks if I open it right now, but this is far away from final of course.

Last edited by takemuraori; 07-23-2015 at 11:21 AM.
07-25-2015, 09:43 AM
The previous game I designed called Shapist and is now available on ios, android and windows phone, the game was visually inspired by very minimal and colorful compositions, as well as wooden blocks for kids.
It looks like this:

SO for KoriKori I initially wanted to depart from complete abstraction and in the mid of June I hypothesized that KoriKori will looks like this:

07-26-2015, 08:25 AM
This looks great! I'll be following the development and sign-up for the pre-launch
07-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Shapist is fantastic, so I am very interested in following development on your new game. Thanks for posting about it here.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
07-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandernath View Post
This looks great! I'll be following the development and sign-up for the pre-launch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
Shapist is fantastic, so I am very interested in following development on your new game. Thanks for posting about it here.
Thank you guys!!! It always really helps to know people enjoyed your previous game.
Here is some small gif from a love scene we are working on, hopefully i can soon show it with in-game footage:

I want to say that Shapist was made as a design exploration where a game is a physical object, KoriKori is very different but it is also a design exploration and a narrative experiment, I am interested in making a logic almost puzzle game but with urgency of time, and at the same time provide a diverse rich world with proceduraly generated levels.

I just recently game an interview to Gamesauce on my design process in could provide broader details it also has my recent design talk on human condition: http://gamesauce.org/news/2015/07/26...connect-video/
07-29-2015, 10:41 PM
A day ago we have conducted a Playtest where I observed people play the game for the first time, and rigth away i have spotted few issues to fix, one is the perception of space and the responsiveness of controls that is related to that because in KoriKori you move fixed distance in one step (like Snake or Crossy Road) but you always move. So this week I am addressing those via adjustments of visual design - will show my thought process here.

Currently working on a number puzzle: TALLNUM (TL№) and a rogue-like adventure korikori.co follow me on Twitter: @takemuraori.
08-01-2015, 01:18 AM
To elaborate on design principles behind KoriKori and other of my games I think I can share this small talk I gave at Casual Connect this year about ethics in game design and human condition.

KoriKori in that context has a strong narrative element and combined with puzzles together, I hope, they create a meaningful value for the player.

Currently working on a number puzzle: TALLNUM (TL№) and a rogue-like adventure korikori.co follow me on Twitter: @takemuraori.
08-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Very nice. I saw your demo in Indie Pitch Arena in Mobile Game Asia in Saigon last month.
Keep it up!
08-03-2015, 06:19 AM
The game seems interesting and I sign-up for the pre-launch. If you need some help with beta test, I have iPhone 5s.

Loana Furcoi
Follow us:@loanaelif,@2thinkgames
08-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Thank you loana!!! We will be having closed testing, I so far test in person with groups of 3 - 5 people who never played the game before at local gamedev meetups, but we will have a wider test soon. We hope to make big progress in August.

We are also working on a web site for a game - here are some transitions I experimented with: