★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

To buy or to wait. That is a question.

View Poll Results: When a new game comes out, do you prefer to buy it immediately or wait a while?
Buy! 40 45.98%
Wait! 47 54.02%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll
07-23-2015, 10:38 AM
To buy or to wait. That is a question.

When a hot new game is released I'm always conflicted if I should buy it right away or wait for the dust to settle. It's fun to get caught up in the hype and participate in the lively discussions in the forums. However it can be frustrating because more often then not new releases require several updates to clean up the bugs. Also sometimes games just don't live up to there own hype.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.

Last edited by klink; 07-23-2015 at 12:37 PM.
07-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Get it when it comes out. If you intend to buy it anyways and it will just help the developer .

07-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Buy ASAP

If we all waited devs wouldn't mske much money and it would be 100% freemium

When games are generally so cheap anyway I can't believe people wait to save a dollar or so
07-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I meant to turn this into a poll, but that failed. I intentionally left that pricing issue out of my first post since that's part of a much bigger issue.

As an example I'm following the Warhammer discussion. It sounds both excellent and flawed. Ideally it will be cleaned up via several updates. So is it worth getting wrapped up in it now or waiting until the bumps in the road are smoothed out.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.
07-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I meant to turn this into a poll, but that failed. I intentionally left that pricing issue out of my first post since that's part of a much bigger issue.

As an example I'm following the Warhammer discussion. It sounds both excellent and flawed. Ideally it will be cleaned up via several updates. So is it worth getting wrapped up in it now or waiting until the bumps in the road are smoothed out.
I usually buy early, then if there are some issues, put aside until fixed. If the game is good.
07-23-2015, 02:59 PM
You should wait to buy a game unless it is one that you plan to play immediately. I've fallen in the habit of picking up cool new releases or discounted titles only to find that I never got around to play them as much as I'd have liked too.

My perception is that most game released are relatively bug free so personally I'm not sure how valid that concern is.

Good games are worth supporting with release day purchases provided they compel your attention.
07-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Poll added.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
You should always buy a game later, unless you are planning to play it right now. This applies to everything, not just iOS.

I could name Witcher 3 as an example - to get the best possible experience of that game would mean buying it now or after the next patch. They've worked out many of the issues and are still working on more.

In the iOS space, the initial investment is lower, so you don't have to wait as long. Wait to see if the game is fundamentally broken, then download it if it's not. Also, only buy games if you're planning to play them right now. If you're thinking "well, I have to go in 10 minutes, but I'll play it when I get home..." Don't get it.
And only get one game at a time.

Anything else leads to hoarding behaviour. Heck, I have a history of downloading (and buying) games that look interesting and never playing them. Then next time I see something interesting, run out of space and delete those games to make room for a new batch of pretty icons to look at. And so on.

It's a hard habit to get out of.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Of course I want to support developers but it's also my money.

If my enthusiasm is high I'll buy something on release, especially if it is $5 or less. The great thing about mobile games is they are cheap so getting my money's worth is rarely a problem.

If it looks promising, I'll wait for a review. I try never to wait for a game to go free on some promotion unless it is something from a major studio (Ubisoft, EA, etc.) Smaller devs are often struggling as it is so getting something free seems like a bit of an insult to them especially since I rarely am in a position to spread the good word about their game.
07-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Poll added.
Thanks!