So... I'm selling my iPad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jgeirge, Jul 25, 2015.

1. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    my iPad Air 2 is amazing, it's given me plenty of fun times, but between the AppStore ecosystem & my lack of an actual PC, I've decided to sell it for a MS Surface Pro 2. I'll still be gaming everyday on my iPhone 6, but no more high resolution iOS games for me.
    I've been watching gaming videos / demonstrations of what the SP2 can do and I'm more than impressed given it only has a 4400 GPU & i5 processor. Any thoughts / comments are welcome !

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Having a real computer is a wonderful thing. I looked at the Surface Pro 3, but MS Windows is so full of bloatware, i am sticking with Mac. I think as long as you can deal with the Windows UI, you will enjoy the SP2 quite a lot. Looks to be a great piece of hardware.

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I have an iPad and a Surface Pro 3. I like both devices for different reasons. The SP3 is great for all around PC related stuff however it's s mediocre tablet. The hardware is solid but the windows App Store is barren. Not very games are touch friendly and they're hard to identify. iPad's are excellent tablets and mediocre at everything else.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Maybe someday Apple will put USB ports in IPads. For me, that would go a long way right there! Personally, after 4 or 5 Windows-based computers and dealing with the wretched UI and all the spyware, adware, worms, viruses, and all the crap that quickly slows you down, I'm done with that. Like I always say: once you go Mac, you never go back! I've had good experiences all along the board with them!

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Have to admit I was always of the belief tablets could never replace a PC and were a bit of a gimmick, even when I bought my first Nexus 7 I held that belief and actually thought of it as more of an ereader than really anything else.

Bought a Samsung Note Pro 12.2 a few months ago to replace that Nexus 7 and it's easily a capable laptop replacement, it's really changed my mind I think it's all the multitasking extras Samsung put into it and the big pretty screen, I can watch a movie have an office document and browse the web all the same time, the battery life on it is also pretty phenomenal I usually always get between 10 and 13 hours of screen time per charge.

Added bonus also love having the stylus and even bought a Logitech K810 keyboard just for it.

Located a screenshot of the multitasking I uploaded a while ago.

So I can see plus sides of having a more serious tablet.

6. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Wait, how much are you selling the iPad 2 for and how much will the Surface Pro 2 cost?

7. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    iPad Air 2 is selling on eBay for 450-550 (64Gigs)
    And used surface pro 2 are selling for 350-400 depending on capacity. Honestly value dropped substantially after a new release ! Which is good for me !

8. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I have never owned or used a SP device so cannot add input there.

I have however owned several iPads with my current being an iPad Air 2. I also own an iMac and use a MacBook for work. I was using a laptop with windows 8 until recently. There is also an Nvidia shield tablet in the house and I own a vita.

IMO the "current" iPads will not replace a computer but they have come a long way. Do you remember the first iPads? You were forced to plug in to a computer to even set up. Now you don't have to. There are keyboards but you cannot print without a wireless printer which I don't have. you also can't also upload any docs to the net as most sites try searching your photos to look for the doc (even if you used the iPad to create the document). I have been job hunting recently and have to use a PC to upload my cv to the job sites. They will improve and eventually replace but how many years and versions in the future?

An android device handles the documents better but I don't like the separate storage business on an android and also the battery life is poor.

That said, I went without an iPad for a year and missed the heck out of it. Even the shield couldn't replace it for me (mainly for the reasons mentioned). I love watching movies and TV on the go and can easily set my phone up as a hot spot to allow internet access.

I don't like the windows system (since I went to an iMac) for the same reasons as the previous post - virus, slow etc etc. and the Apple Store has so many top games (which are not everyone's taste). I'm not a console gamer these days and my vita is adequate enough for these types of games, for me.

So weigh up what you will gain and lose by swapping.