★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Best word game

12-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Best word game

What is the best word game out there. I'm wanting one, but don't know which to get.
12-21-2008, 01:13 AM
"Best" is subjective. The ones I have now are these ones:

Scrabble: Great game, worth what I paid but not as good for a 'quick' play. You need to have more time to devote to this one. It does save your progress but it is slow to load so I don't play it unless I have time to really play it.

Word Up: There are rows of letters and you use them to make words. If you use a tile, the row shifts up so the letter below it becomes available. It's sort of like a solitaire Scrabble. I like it and play it often.

Imangi: You slide the columns around to make words. You can play it like a strategy game and try to make the best board you can, or you can play 'speed' Imangi where the letters vanish as you use them. I posted about it here once and the dev PM'd me to ask me for suggestions. I sent him some and he never replied. I think the gameplay in Speed Imangi is a little fiddly and it needs adjustable playing times e.g. an option for longer games. The dev never responded when I replied to his PM with this suggestion.

Quordy: One of the better Boggle clones---I paid for and tried a few! I like it better than wurdle because wurdle makes these annoying sounds whenever you tap a word, so even if you are going for a longer word, it clues you in that you have another one, which makes it too easy. I also like that Quordy has an unlimited gameplay mode where you can keep going to try and get all the words. Downside of this game, some boards are really hard and there is no re-shuffle option like wurdle has.

Word Whirl: Like Text Twist. A fun game, and nicely presented, but it starts freezing up a little if you play for too long. I paid $1.99 for it but there are tons of free clones now.

Fire Words: Like Bookworm, and worth the $0.99 I paid for it, but I don't play it as often anymore because I kind of burned out on it. I am more into Quordy right now and am contemplating getting Wordpops.

I am curious about other replies to this thread. I love word games and am always on the lookout for more.

12-21-2008, 01:25 AM
I agree mostly with what ficbot wrote, although I prefer wurdle to quordy - since I can change the size of the grid which makes the game more interesting to me. Imangi is good and Scrabble is very polished - and the AI is excellent in that game.
12-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Wordle is free and its alot like text twist, and i love scramboni!
12-21-2008, 05:17 AM
I have almost all of the word games and Wurdle is the best!

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
12-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Are there any cryptic crossword games available? I've looked throught the description of a few Crossword apps, but the itunes search engine isn't the best, so I might have missed some.
12-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I just got Wordsworth for a dollar and it's great. One of those games where 5mins turns out to be hours! It's basically a cross between Numba and scrabble, on a gameboard like Trism. I really like it.
12-21-2008, 10:24 AM
@ficbot - Thanks again for the Imangi shoutout! And I'm so sorry we missed your PMs! Turns out that Keith (kshep) didn't know that you don't get notified when you get a PM, so they completely slipped his radar. Lesson learned. He'll get back to you today on those.

And I'm glad you're enjoying Speed Imangi. I think a lot of players overlook that game mode, and it's really fun. There was a fierce battle going on for the top score between The Bro and jp JP jp, and jp JP jp just completely dominated the boards. I really have no idea how they are getting such ridiculous scores. 117,000?!! How?!

@Iago, thanks for your Imangi recommendation as well. Let us know if you have any suggestions for improvements.
12-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I really like QuickCross it's a 4x4 crossword puzzle. Words are formed up and down and has hints for each one. It's comes with USA today crosswords. Quickcross is fun and can be solved in just a couple of minutes. I initially did like Imangi word squares but like having clues so much better.

Muddled is a good anagram one too although there are a ton of anagram word games to choose from.
12-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
So should I get Wurdle, Imangi, or Quordy? What about Wordsworth? What's the difference between Imangi and Imangi Word Squares?