Mad Catz Micro C.T.R.L.i. Vs. MOGA Ace Power

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Anonomation, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I as thinking about purchasing an MFi controller, and these are the two I've singled down to. I wanted to see what I could get from user experience I could trust, rather than random review and videos. I also would like to know if there were any similar alternatives in terms of capability and app support.

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I have the Mad Catz and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's a well made controller and it feels solid in your hands. The analog sticks are very responsive and my only complaint is the D pad. It's analog also and it takes a lot of pressure to get it to register a push in my opinion. The only time I use the D pad is with emulators like Provenance and it makes games like Mario and Zelda difficult. I keep pushing a direction and nothing happens because I didn't push hard enough. I usually end up using the analog sticks but they aren't ideal for a game that was made for a D pad. It's been great for all the MFi iOS games I've played though.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I have the Power Ace and although I love it, it is quite limited in that I cannot use it with anything other than my iPhone 5. I will probably upgrade to a Mad Catz shortly for it's versatility. I own an iPad and will get a 6s+ this fall. Mad Catz plays with all.

I do recommend a Power Ace because it is cheap and comfortable to use. It's a great introduction to mfi gaming. It is a gateway drug and will get you wanting more. For $30 I do not regret my purchase one bit.

Also, I have heard a lot of people say they prefer the Mad Catz to the Mad Catz Micro for it's size. I've not used either but when I buy one I will get the full sized one for sure. Just thought I'd point that out.

4. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Thank you both! :)

I'm always although more on the fence, but it seems I might buy the Mad Catz. I'll see if anyone else has any extra insight, but once again, thank you!!!

5. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    For my money, the larger C.T.R.L.i is a much better option if you're planning on gripping your iPhone onto the controller. The clip on the Micro C.T.R.L.i is garbage.

If I was getting a controller solely to use with the iPhone 5S or below, the Moga Ace Power is acceptable. But the C.T.R.L.i is infinitely better, and will work with all future iPhones and iPads.

6. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    I do really like the micro CTRLi. It's worked great with everything that I've tried... except in Pacman Champ DX edn, using the D pad is awful. Other than that, no regrets.

I haven't had any issues with the clip, works fine with my 6+ even if it is a tight fit.

7. pylons

pylons Member

Apr 23, 2014
    how to connect Madcatz CTRL?

Hi guys,

I have a problem with how to connect my brand new Madcatz CTRL controller. I have hooked the controller successfully with my Ipad (running IOS 8, up to date one) via bluetooth. I opened the MHFU options and tried to turn on the MFi Game controller option to "on", but I can't. It says on the bottom "Mfi Game Controller is not connected" and I touched the screen once more to switch the option from "off" to "on", it says "Press A on the MFi Game Controller". I did press A (and I tried all other buttons), it wont let me use this controller. Please help. anyone have or have had any issue with this before?

Thanks in advance.