★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I'm a new dev! Any vets willing to help out a bit? =D

07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
I'm a new dev! Any vets willing to help out a bit? =D

Hey everyone! My name is Steve Kim and while I've been working on games by myself for a while, I've only just recently released a game onto the App Store and the Google Play store.

The game I've built is called Treads! and in it you play as a tank that is crawling through a desert landscape avoiding and destroying enemies. I think it's fun but that's pretty subjective. I did a decent job of building the game but I've done a really poor job of marketing it. To this point, I've been busy building and porting it to Android (which I just finished this week) and have left any real marketing on the wayside and, well, that's a rookie mistake.

From what I've been reading and hearing, it sounds like I needed to try and get this game in front of press roughly 3 weeks prior to its release. So I've already missed that boat... Does anyone have and advice on where I should go at this point? I'm thinking about possibly advertising to get it in front of more people but I'm unsure if that's something that has worked for other small devs/games such as myself. Should I also continue to try and get in contact with games press?

I thought making games was hard. Getting it in front of people seems to be even more difficult >,<

Thanks!
07-29-2015, 03:56 PM
#2
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,065
at least link to your game!

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8

07-29-2015, 05:33 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Sorry, I linked to it in the iOS and Android boards and I didn't wanna break any rules linking while asking non release related questions >,<
http://hyperurl.co/Treads
07-30-2015, 07:48 AM
#4
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 102
Is "Designed Exclusively for iPhone Play" a good statement to put on one of your screenshots given that the title supports iPad (and Android for that matter, but that part won't put anyone off from downloading the iOS version). Is 'Designed Exclusively for Touch Control' or 'Designed Exclusively for iOS' more accurate?
07-30-2015, 10:07 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 108
Although you missed preview coverage, you should still submit your game to games press for reviews and try to drum up some buzz on Reddit. It's actually a bit more useful that you can provide a store link to accompany an .ipa, to give more context and detail.
07-30-2015, 10:37 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
Is "Designed Exclusively for iPhone Play" a good statement to put on one of your screenshots given that the title supports iPad (and Android for that matter, but that part won't put anyone off from downloading the iOS version). Is 'Designed Exclusively for Touch Control' or 'Designed Exclusively for iOS' more accurate?
Oh my. I totally missed that. Thanks for the catch and I'll be changing it immediately =]
Though on the iOS App store, it is specifically designed to be played on an iPhone. You can download it onto an iPad but it's not a universal app. On the iPad, it'll draw some letterboxes on the left and right side to accommodate the super wide aspect ratio of an iPad.

Last edited by Fobwashed; 07-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.
07-30-2015, 10:40 AM
#7
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzer View Post
Although you missed preview coverage, you should still submit your game to games press for reviews and try to drum up some buzz on Reddit. It's actually a bit more useful that you can provide a store link to accompany an .ipa, to give more context and detail.
I've got little to zero reddit presence and don't even really know how to use that site. I guess I'll have to change that and at least lurk around for a bit to see how to go about things. Are there any specific subreddits you suggest I start with? Place is huge!
07-30-2015, 12:46 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 15
Reddit is scary and confusing. One wrong word and the white supremacists and Gamegaters will come to haunt you.
07-30-2015, 02:45 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakie View Post
Reddit is scary and confusing. One wrong word and the white supremacists and Gamegaters will come to haunt you.
Oh come on, it's not that bad, most of those people aren't really interested in mobile games anyways. Having just done a bunch of Reddit "marketing" yesterday r/iosgaming seems to be the most receptive, r/androidgaming seems a bit pickier and you'll probably have to justify whatever permissions you're using in your game, r/webgames gave me a ton of traffic the first time I posted an early build of my game last August, but yesterday it totally flopped. I've never been harassed on any of my posts though.
08-03-2015, 01:53 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualFunMachine View Post
Oh come on, it's not that bad, most of those people aren't really interested in mobile games anyways. Having just done a bunch of Reddit "marketing" yesterday r/iosgaming seems to be the most receptive, r/androidgaming seems a bit pickier and you'll probably have to justify whatever permissions you're using in your game, r/webgames gave me a ton of traffic the first time I posted an early build of my game last August, but yesterday it totally flopped. I've never been harassed on any of my posts though.
Thanks! I'll check out these subreddits next time I have some time to engage people =]