★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Prevent updates for premium to freemium

07-30-2015, 02:35 AM
Prevent updates for premium to freemium

Is there a way to either hide or prevent an update from downloading? I always have it set to manual updates but I am always afraid that I am going to accidently update one of my premium games that went free to play.
07-30-2015, 02:53 AM
Dont think so, i mean you havent got automatic updates on which is good. I love seeing a red 1 on the App store icon then reading what update it is and what it does then installing.

Think you'll just have to read before pressing update.

I've got 500+ games on my phone, think there might have been 1 or 2 updates which turned a game to freemium
07-30-2015, 03:09 AM
It seems that you can do what I want only with a jailbreak. I think I have 7 updates that will turn my premuim games into free to play. I wish Apple would add this to an ios update soon.
07-30-2015, 12:10 PM
The other thing you can do is backup to computer. The older version will go to the trash (on the Mac at least) and i save it to an external HD. Game save goes away, but i have the original game at least.
The just delete the freemium from your device, put the old game back in your itunes folder, and copy it back onto the device. Simple!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-30-2015, 12:40 PM
There used to be a trick where you would backup the original IPA file somewhere, perform the update on iTunes, then delete the updated IPA file and put the original back with a post-dated version number or something, but after years, thousands of apps and switching devices I've lost track of it.

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!