POLL: discussions about how folks feel about the the iPod touch 6's 4" screen

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ackmondual, Jul 30, 2015.

?

Effect of the iPod Touch 6 not getting a 4.7" screen have in interest in getting it?

1. It's the main reason I am *NOT* getting it

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. It's the main reason I *AM* getting it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. it wasn't the only reason I am *NOT* getting it

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. it wasn't the only reason I *AM* getting it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. I would've preferred a 4.7" screen, but it's still a device I'm getting

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. *Not* getting it, and it made no difference

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  7. *AM* getting it, and it made no difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Curious to get more details on folks' thoughts on the iPod Touch 6's screen size.

The rest of the boosts in specs are marvelous. For me, the 4.7" or larger screen was a requirement, and the main reason I'm NOT going to get it. Well, when my IpT5 battery goes, I'll end up seeing what my options are at that point, as well as how I feel about iOS then. However, it's definitely not going to be something I'm getting soon.

Contrast that to the past where I've been getting a new IpT since I first bought my IpT3. Furthermore, all of those upgrades have indeed been primarily drawn in by improvements to the display...

IpT4 now has Retina
    IpT5 has an extra 0.5", as well as a better quality screen (the same one used with the Iph5/s I hear)

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I voted for a larger screen but still ordered one. I wanted something to be able to slip into my pocket so the screen size isn't that much of an issue for me. After years of using Touch 4's screen the 6th gen will be a larger screen for me so the even larger screen size of 4.7 inch doesn't have that much of an impact on me although I'm sure it would have been nice to have. I think people that have the 4th gen will be more swayed to get a 6th gen as its a major upgrade regarless of it not having the 4.7 inch screen.

3. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Considering the power inside that thing, I did find it kind of funny that the screen is still so tiny. One question I wonder about is "Why?" Did they have an existing inventory to liquidate? Regardless, I don't think I would buy one, even if they blew the screen out to the corners. I have personally become so accustomed to my iPad mini that anything smaller has very little appeal. And if I do want a game in my pocket I use my phone, since it's already coming with me. Still, I started playing mobile games on my iPod touch, and it makes me happy to see it carrying on.
    For the record, I'd say that screen size is not only the reason I'm not buying one, but it makes that decision much easier.

4. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I would've gotten one if screen was bigger than 5 inches, I have the 5th gen and it feels really small after using my iPad.

5. ackmondual

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    On other sites, many just use their IpT6's as a camera, music player, kids items, or browser where they'll have better wifi coverage. I can see the latter 2, but for the former 2, you could've just gone with any other device really. However, I suspect that's they there was no large screen... to keep the price down and compete with all of that.

Here, I'm sure folks who have the IpT would use 'em for gaming. I'd use the Ipad Air for gaming, except it's not convenient to carry with me. An Ipad Mini wouldn't help b/c I keep my IpT5 in my pocket. Plus, my IpT5 is still on ios7.0.4, while the Ipad Air's on ios8.2. Don't know if it's possible sync the data between them.

Well, my conspiracy theory theory is in addition to having surplus Iph5/s/IpT5 screens..
    1) They're short on Iph6 screens, and want to continue to make and sell more of those. Margins are MUCH higher on an Iph6 than an IpT6

2) they're pacing themselves, and in the very slow way. If we get an IpT7, THEN perhaps we'll see it then. Hell, it probably would've gotten 1 GB of system RAM in a parallel universe. Alas, I've been purchasing and using Palm PDAs since 1999, and it seems like the MOs of the manufacturers never wanted to create an "uber device". Whenever you're towards the end of the line, improvements were sidegrades instead of actual upgrades.

That's why I've gotten a couple of games on my Galaxy s4 vs. my IpT5 when I had that choice. It's too narrow for some applications.

6. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Everyone has an iPhone already right? I imagine an iPod touch is for a child, so the screen size seems perfect.

7. ackmondual

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I never had an Iph. I use my IpT to access iOS stuff. When my IpT5 dies, perhaps I'll see if I can get a used Iph6 for less than $300.

-Developers use them since they make for much cheaper test devices.
    -Corporations use them if they just want an iPhone without internet access.
    -As mentioned in my post, some use them for music or camera

$200 vs. $650. If you're buying in bulk like some enterprise solutions developers tend to do, the savings are huge.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why for a child ?

I had a few iPod touches as I already had a mobile phone and didn't want a monthly cost to play ios games. An iPod touch is brilliant for offline use and they're pretty cheap. Had many great months using those

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    No, not everyone has an iPhone or want one. The money spent on higher priced device's is reserved for the iPad's and carry a much cheaper small phone that I'm happy with. The marketing of the Touch 6 gen to include children can be an alternative for parents then buying them a $650 iPhone and their sales could help keep the Touch on market in the future. The Touch 6 gen screen size could be just a tad larger but appreciate that it can be slipped into a pocket and hardly noticable. My iPad is for big screen play usually at home and the Touch for easier portability mainly as a pda and some on-the-go gaming neither having to be online and all the while saving hundreds of dollars.

10. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Sorry for the less than informed post, valid points all around for sure, and I could see how an android owner would want the cheaper Touch 6; or a company to buy for employees the cheaper model.

11. I'm still hoping for a 4" iPhone 6S, but sounds like I'm the only one.

12. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    If it's mainly for kids (and kids already have the iPad Mini as a higher-end option), and thus cheap is key, then the 4" screen makes sense. It doesn't sell enough to offer a ton of options, so aiming low is probably appropriate. Some people will want something different--but enough to make it?

Best option for those people: used iPhone 6's, which will get cheaper with time. No need to activate a cell plan.

(Or if pocketability does not matter: some flavor of iPad Mini.)

13. ackmondual

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Nah, I've read online from a few others who wish there was a 4" option for this gen. Like how the IpT6 getting a 4" screen, I'm sure making their flagship model a 4.7" and 5.5" to compete with Android phones was definitely the right call, as I've met many in person and online that said the lack of large screen was what got them to switch to Android prior.

That's the thing that does bug me about Apple... lack of choices. Those that want the option to spring for a 4.7" IpT can't do so. Those that want an up-to-date Iph with a 4" screen are also out of luck. Ironically enough, one of them said if there isn't an up to date 4" Iph later on, he's switching back to Android :rolleyes:

14. I've been holding onto my iPhone 5 for an extra year (usually I upgrade every two years) in the hopes that the next one will have a 4" option. I'm literally at the point where I can't use my phone for more than 10 minutes without plugging in. So if they don't release a 4" option, that means I suffered through this past year with my 5 for nothing. :/

15. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I'd say it doesn't bother me. But I've always used the ipt5 as a portable emulation machine. The idea of an ipt6 would be just so I can run more games without major framerate problems (n64 games, some arcade games). But I recently tried an ipad mini and might have a hard time going back. My dilemma is that there is no well made nice feeling connectable controller made for the ipad mini that can be used as an icade or bluetooth device. But there are some nice options for the itp6.

16. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    I prefer smaller screens. The iPod touch 6th gen is the most bang for the pixel in terms of GPU performance, except maybe the iPhone 6s now with the bumped GPU in the A9. In any case, the touch 6 is the fastest iOS device I've used yet. It's a shame they kept the thickness the same, the battery doesn't last but maybe an hour.

17. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    yeah that bothers me, the battery. The ipt6 is almost the same performance as the ipm2 and ipm3. But the battery is around 1000 compared to the ipm 6000. That's the one thing I hate, but it's like, the ipt6 has what I need for gaming and ipm doesn't.