How often do you upgrade your iPhone / iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stingman, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I buy a new iPhone and iPad every other year. For instance I bought the iPhone 5, skipped the iPhone 5s and bought the iPhone 6. I bought an iPad Air and I skipped the iPad Air 2, but I will be buying the Air 3 or whatever else comes out at that time. I'm wondering how often others tend to upgrade and if they see a big need for it in the future? I guess this might depend on your needs, but with what Metal has in store for the future things could be quite exciting if more developers embrace it and focus on quality 3d graphics that these new devices are capable of running.

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I upgrade once the device I have is on it's last legs. I'm using an 1st gen mini, not had any problems and it's still working fine, so it'll prob be at least another year.

All my spare money goes on my daughter so treats for myself are way down the list of purchases, but I think even if I had the funds to do so, I'd still only uograde if I has problems with the device I had.

3. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    iPhone: I have an iPhone 5 that I'm still perfectly happy with, so I don't know when I'll upgrade that.

My iPad.... I wanted an iPad when the first one came out, but wanted to wait at least a generation to get one. I wound up getting an iPad 3 when they came out and was very happy with it. When the iPad Air came out, I wanted one but again, I prefer to wait a bit. I got my iPad Air 2 in November and am thrilled to bits with it. I gave my old iPad to my husband, who uses it for email and solitaire and Candy Crush and not much else, so we are both very happy! I use my iPad for everything (seriously everything--I haven't used my computer in months), so I like the bells and whistles as well as the extra "oomph" of the iPad Air 2. As far as upgrading, no plans anytime soon. Something absolutely awesome would need to come out to make me think about it. And then I'd probably still wait at least one generation to do anything about it.

Great question. I'm looking forward to reading other responses.

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    My daughter has an ioad 2 and she's still on ios 6 so there's some stuff she can't play, like crossy roads but it doesn't bother he enough to want a new one, although we will probably get her a newer model for Christmas, so husband will probably get her ioad 2 as he plays on it anyway, he like word chums, deer hunter, and plague inc, ( he's much better at that than me)

I think I'd keep my mini to be honest, as a spare maybe, or to just use for books and photos. I am looking forward to upgrading though as the difference will be massive :)

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I was on an iPhone 4 from January 2013 to September 2014. I don't know how long I'll go this time...

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Was on an iphone 4s for a fair bit. The second it was 'old' as in lots of new games wouldnt play on it etc i moved onto an iphone 6

I dont want to be one of these people who gets a new device every year or so, i want to keep it for as long as possible (specially as its an expensive 128 gb one). But i reckon i should get a fair bit out of it.

7. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I wait for the S series. Originally I was going to get a 5, because Touch ID creeped me out- but now, I love it and I've learned from research that the S series are the only ones worth buying.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    2nd Gen iPod Touch -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 6+

I don't get to upgrade much. :eek:

9. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I upgrade more often than most because I am a developer, but it's cool to see most people are at least running a lot of the latest devices. Running an iPhone 4 or even 4s in today's market seems impossible for a lot of the games out now. I think anyone who has a metal compatible device (5s +, iPad Air +) should be able to run most games for a long time to come. I know there is a large amount of people that always upgrade every year, though they might not frequent the TA forums :) I have several friends that upgrade every year just because they want the latest and greatest.

10. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I've been using my iPhone 3GS since 2010 and I think I'll stick with it for a little more since it works fine.

I've gotten my iPad mini 2 a month after launch day. And I think I'll keep this one for a while too.

11. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I'm seeing that I skip a generation when buying. Started with a 2nd gen Touch and later moved onto the 4th gen and today I just ordered the 6th generation iPod Touch. I feel more compelled to upgrade by then. Most likely do the same with the iPad being its a 4th gen and get a newer one late into this year. Both 4th gens work fine still although not the latest iOS versions but I do see significantly improved upgrades when skipping a generation to want one.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #12 Talbs, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    I think exactly the opposite. I buy every two years for the number change series. THAT's obviously when the big changes come in, and those are worth buying. A tweaked (sometimes not even new, just overclocked), processor is definately not worth the change to me. Especially since games are still developed for and run super slick still on the latest number change model.
    I love getting a physically new and processing power new device.
    I don't see the point in waiting all year for an S and seeing people with the 6 and getting over the form factor of it by that time. It'll be barely any faster and maybe have a 10 megapixel camera instead of a 9 megapixel or whatever they're up to.
    To me the S is just apple buying time before trying to stick their neck above Samsung again..

13. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I can't recall when they came out, but my first iOS device was an Ipod Touch 3. I've gotten the IpT4 more or less when it first came out, and the IpT5 in Aug. 2013. I was eagerly awaiting the IpT6, but the same, tiny, 4" screen was a deal breaker. For those who have something to say about that, I've started a thread about the IpT6 and its screen here....
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=267445

Several months back, got an 128 GB Ipad Air (1). However, it's been largely unused. Given how much longer my IpT5 lasts and what my options will be, it may become used much more.

Wow... that's about as conservative as you can get, while still staying "in the game"! That's typically what Iph users do, as going to the next model line seems wasteful, but going every other model gets you the best tradeoff between keeping up on tech while saving more $$. Plus, with 2 year contracts, that's about when it's time to update.

Doing every over IpT model is even more outdated given the longer frequency when the next one's released, so kudos on keeping satisfied with what you've got! :cool: I take it you don't use them a alot, as my IpT5 battery health has declined noticeably. I need to charge it every night with what I could've gotten away with every other night or every 3 days when the battery was fresh.

14. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    iPhone: 3G, 4, 5, 6+
    iPad : 2, Air

15. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Probably once in 2 years...currently i have an iPad 4,right now I'm waiting for September to see the newest iPad from Apple.

16. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Ya I'll be getting a new iPad this fall and I'm curious about the iPad Pro.

Seems most people upgrade when they can or feel they need to. I don't see anyone so far that gets every new device even though I know a few people that do. They must not be TA forum members :)

17. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    iPhone every 2 years. Sell the old one.

iPad every 2 years. Keep the old one! (I might have a problem...)

Mac laptop 3 years at least—usually 4 or more. Hand-me-down the old one.

Mac desktop every 8 years. (Good lord! Why won't you die???)

Windows PC... not anymore. Boot Camp as needed.

Toothbrush: 8 months. Don't chew on them and they last!

18. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I've had a variety of devices in this order: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (also had an iPod touch 4), iPad 1, iPhone 5, iPad mini 2, iPhone 6. So pretty often, and looking forward to a 6S+ or whatever they call it this year.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So far for me...

Ipod touch 4th gen, Ipod touch 5th gen, iphone 4 16 gig (shock after having a 64 gig ipod touch !), iphone 4s 16 gig, iphone 6 128 gig.

I dont keep the older devices, no point. Quite happy putting the money i make on these when i sell them towards the new device

20. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I went: iPhone 3GS, 4S, 6.
    iPad 3, Air 2

I'd love to be able to upgrade both every two years, but realistically I think once every three years is all I can justify.

The 4S was a nightmare for its final year so I don't think I could drag an iPhone out longer. The iPad fared better so if something has to slow down it'll be that.