★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Help us test if this puzzle game too hard - POPPY BIRDS (by Friendly Apps)

View Poll Results: How Difficult was Poppy Birds to understand?
It was impossible to understand so I just quit 0 0%
I tried as best as I could, but ultimately it was too difficult 0 0%
It was challenging, but I enjoy a good challenge 1 50.00%
It was difficult at first to understand, but I got it eventually 0 0%
It was more difficult than I imagined, but nothing I couldn't handle 1 50.00%
It wasn't very difficult to understand just a bit challenging to get all 3 stars 0 0%
It was easy to understand and not much of a challenge 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll
07-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Help us test if this puzzle game is too hard - POPPY BIRDS (by Friendly Apps)

Poppy Birds sounds like a nice and casual game, and that was the original intent, but we have been getting feedback that the game is too difficult to be casual and too cute to be hardcore! Seriously though, who wouldn't want to pop these little rascals?

Name:  bird_yellow_dance_0@2x.png
Views: 122
Size:  275.4 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5534.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	90645 Name:  bird_red_idle_0@2x.png
Views: 121
Size:  275.4 KB

We've run some testing on our own, and have gotten some really different results, so much so that we need to cast a wider net before releasing her into the wilds. It's a puzzle game that only uses a 4x4 grid because it was built for the Apple Watch, but to our surprise we found a lot of depth to explore. Once players have grasped the concept, it's usually a race to complete all 140 levels and rack up 420 stars! Unfortunately, popping and turning these sweet birds has proven to be very challenging at first, and we know this can make people frustrated early on. We want them to savor every successful pop, not go on a stress-fueled popping spree.

Now that we are bringing it fully to iOS we have the ability to make some changes that the Watch was not capable of. We have spent the last month reworking the tutorials, UI and all the level design to try and get the best "feel" for the game and we need people to help us test it out. I don't want to taint anyone's opinions by telling you how it works, what we fixed or what others have specifically targeted, just give us your honest feedback.

Send us an email to poppybirds@friendly.io and we will add you to the BETA and send out an invite immediately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB_Icon1024_round.png
Views:	6
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	90643

We need as many people as we can get playing the game and letting us know if we are on the right track or if we need to go back to the drawing board. Personally, my seven year old daughter excels at solving these puzzles but my lovely wife nearly threw the phone at my head. Everyone's opinions are welcome. Post your comments here so we can get some back and forth going, and maybe find some solutions to help make Poppy Birds accessible to everyone.

Of course, we also ask that you share Poppy Birds with anyone you think might enjoy a good puzzle game or maybe they just take pleasure in squishing adorable avians. You can direct them here or our Facebook page where we will be posting updates and information as well.

If you wish to remain a Poppy Bird virgin I suggest you don't read further into the comments until you have played the game.

Name:  birdhouse_green_1@2x.png
Views: 120
Size:  275.4 KB

Last edited by Kegatron; 07-30-2015 at 09:44 PM.
07-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to move the Poll to the bottom of the post? It has been mentioned that having it at the top of the post is distracting and possibly off-putting ;P

If it can't be moved, can it be removed?
07-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses so far, we are headed out for today but we will still try and accommodate any requests tonight. If not you will get an invite early tomorrow morning for sure (even though it's a weekend)!

We welcome your comments directly via e-mail or even PM, but if you like to post a comment it would not only help us start a conversation, it also keeps us relevant on the boards.

Thanks again!