★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: SomaSim
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 69.3 MB
  • Version: 2.0.7
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: "1849 ... might just be the only real city-building game on iOS" - Owen Faraday, Pocket Tactics

*** "1849: Gold Edition" combines the base game "1849" plus the "1849: Nevada Silver" and "Epilogue: After the Gold Rush" content packs. ***

1849 is a city management game set during the California Gold Rush. Your task is to build towns, populate them with workers, and make sure that they are housed, fed, and entertained. Youll have to manage and coordinate extensive production and trade networks to make sure your towns thrive.

Key Features Of 1849

- A campaign mode that traces the development of the Gold Rush from mining camps to bustling cities. Each city scenario presents players with unique starting conditions, victory goals, and obstacle events.
- Sandbox mode with a procedurally-generated map for your location, based on geography (from the Pacific coast to the Sierra Nevada mountains), precipitation, resource availability, and starting lot size.
- Vivid old west towns with buildings lining the streets directly inspired by Californias Gold Country.
- Over 50 resources that players can dig up, farm, refine or manufacture as they build complex towns and cities.

1849: Nevada Silver expands on 1849s simulation gameplay to provide more challenge on a bustling new frontier.

- Six new Nevada city scenarios, from frontier outposts to bustling boom towns, plus sandbox mode
- Train-based trading system adds a new strategic dimension
- New buildings, mines, and resources based on the industry and technology of the era

The Epilogue presents two final scenarios, taking place in the period after the gold rush, as the people of California attempted to forge a new identity in a state that went through an irreversible transformation.

"1849 is a neat city builder which works well within its theme and is quite satisfying to play if you enjoy city-builders."
- Lena LeRay, IndieGames.com

"1849 seems to be an accurate simulator in terms of its focus on 1850s city building. It's also a compelling and, at times, highly challenging strategy game."
- Chris Priestman, KillScreen Daily
07-31-2015, 07:08 AM
This is, hands down, the best city builder on the Appstore and it's entirely devoid of timers or iAP bullcrap.

If you're searching for a town management game (a la banished but set during the Gold Rush) then don't hesitate and pick it up now!

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.

07-31-2015, 08:03 AM
For the love of God... Where did this come from?

And premium? Bought!

That is game 38 in my swelling backlog.

My zipper is my castle...
07-31-2015, 09:41 AM
This has (well the original version) been on my watch list for so long. I think I'll finally pick this one up. I love city builders and to see one without timers is almost unheard of.
08-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Hi everybody, 1849 devs here! Just saw this thread.

Thank you for the kind words! We've tried hard to make a good simulation game - we were huge fans of the Caesar series back in the day, so this is kind of an homage to that entire genre of games. I really hope that premium strategy games will make a comeback on tablets - it's such a good form factor for playing strategy and simulation games!
08-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Oh nice!! Will be getting this one!!

Gamecenter: F34RTEHR34PER
08-01-2015, 02:01 PM
How do hive a game stars at the top of the screen where it says rate this app
08-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Is their a trial of this we can play
08-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Game looks awesome, I will buy a download from app store later tonight Few questions if you don't mind.

1. How many devs were working on this game?

2. Approximate budget?

3. How long did it take to create it?

Thanks for any info you can help with! Congrats on a well made game (from what it looks like)
08-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tosty View Post
Game looks awesome, I will buy a download from app store later tonight Few questions if you don't mind.
Thanks, @Tosty! And to answer your questions:
1. It's an indie team: two people full time (coder and designer/writer) and two part time (artists)
2. Budget was minimal - we lived off our savings while we made the game.
3. The whole thing took 13 months from start to release. Plus a few months post-release to add things like mobile sandbox mode, and Nevada expansion pack.

And if you're on GDCVault, I can send you a link to the talk we did about our process...

How about it?

Originally Posted by Jayg2015
Is their a trial of this we can play
Unfortunately it's not a free game, and we don't have a trial version at this point. Maybe in the future...?