★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are OpenFeint and Plus+ still out there, let alone being used?

08-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Are OpenFeint and Plus+ still out there, let alone being used?

One thing I liked about OpenFeint was it recorded achievements when u didn't have internet access (played many games on IpT away from home where there often was NOT wifi). The logo eating up a whole corner in the app icon was annoying, but I guess unlike others, I've learned to accept it. Don't remember much about Plus+. I don't really use Game Center much, even though it's been baked in since... ios5 IIRC? I used to use it to play MP games of a card game (Ascension), but the dev last year forgone that for their own solution. IIRC, they had to do something like this when they released their game for Android and Steam, and it may even be cross-platform now too.
08-01-2015, 07:49 PM
No, the companies behind them no longer exist.

Plus+ was owned by ngmoco, who were purchased by DENA and helped set up their online platform. I think the Openfeint team was purchased by someone, but I don't know who. Ditto for Scoreloop, Crystal, all the others.

Game Center allows offline tracking and achievements, and subsumed most of the functionality of the other networks (aside from Openfeint's social networking). Listing its flaws is a whole other story, but I can't think of any features the older services provided that GameCenter and iCloud can't also handle.

AfterPad.com - MFi Gaming News | Game List | Controllers | Twitter