★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What happened to Jet Set(Grind) Radio?

12-21-2008, 03:47 AM
What happened to Jet Set(Grind) Radio?

I thought SEGA was going to port this to the iPhone by the end of this year. Arn, do you happen to have any updates on this game?
12-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaa93 View Post
I thought SEGA was going to port this to the iPhone by the end of this year. Arn, do you happen to have any updates on this game?
I've heard rumours about Sega porting several of their franchises but nothing solid or dates. In a way thats a good thing - hopefully they will be able to finish them, refine the controls, add some polish etc.

I remember that Sega of America head Simon Jeffery talking about iPhone, Dreamcast and Sega at E3 this year. Heres the link: Technorati

Here's hoping for ports/new versions of Sonic, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star, Virtua Tennis, Sega Rally or GT & Streets of Rage.

12-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I've actually been pretty shocked that SEGA hasn't been porting/developing more titles, given the massive success of Super Monkey Ball. SEGA Columns Deluxe is a throwaway title, really, and seeing as how they made a killing capitalizing on the frenzied early days of the App Store you'd imagine they would have released a few more games by now.

I'm not a fan of much of their catalog, but Jet (whatever) Radio and Crazy Taxi would be great on the iP/iPT.
12-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Despite SMB getting huge sales, i think they had to have noticed all the complaints and are probably going to be more careful about the state of things they release in the future.
12-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
They've got to be up to something.

I mean...what other game company has developers with more experience developing games using PowerVR GPUs than Sega? NAOMI, Dreamcast, Aurora, Atomiswave all used PowerVR GPUs.

And that Monkey Ball is a glorified demo. Developed in less than a month, iirc. You'd figure they'd be up to something, especially since Monkey Ball is always in the top 20 for the app store in paid game apps.

I'm hoping for big announcements from them in '09.

Chu Chu Rocket. Sonic. A new Monkey Ball. A Sega racer (Rally, GT, Outrun, Daytona, whatever). Panzer Dragoon and/or Rez. A Shining Force game (turn based strat, please). Anything.
Everything he said!
12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Send a message via AIM to Kuratsu Send a message via MSN to Kuratsu
Meh, maybe they are preparing a bunch to release at once?

Or more probable: based on their experience with Monkey Ball (and what we have seen with other apps (more recently Katamari)) they are most likely spending a great amount of time optimizing the games.

Think how long it takes to make a game for a modern day console. They may be tweaking things for a smooth release.
12-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Panzer Dragoon would be a dream, and so suited for iPhone play. Nights would work great too.