★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What happens to an App I've bought that gets removed from the store?

08-03-2015, 08:51 AM
What happens to an App I've bought that gets removed from the store?

On Steam you keep what you've purchased forever, even if it gets taken off at a later date. I noticed Monkey Island 1&2 are no longer on the IOS app store and I'm just wondering if I can still download them because I purchased them a few years ago? It would be terrible if Apple can just stop you from downloading Software you purchased. If it turns out to be the case, it makes me not want to purchase anything from IOS, at least with Android you can install external APKs.

Any ways I hope what you purchased stays on the store? I'm thinking about going back to IOS as Windows Phone has been a dire experience for the past two years, but if in fact I cannot redownload things I've purchased which have been removed, I'll probably go to Android instead.

Can any one answer this? Thanx.
08-03-2015, 08:56 AM
You need to load up itunes, transfer purchases (to a folder which is specified on itunes), then all the .ipa files are backed up there

I do that the second i get a hidden emulator file and now over the years i backup all my ipas. As if you get a new iOS device (or want to install an older game from the app store) if it cant find the .ipa file it wont install it.

The problem is if you dont back up your ipa and a game gets taken off the app store it probably wont be in your purchased tab.

With so many websites offering free cloud storage (eg Mega with 50 gig, others with 10 or 20 gig) its easy to backup your apps all over the place.

As for Monkey Island if its not under your purchased tab on the App store icon on your phone then i'm unsure how you can get it. So many people dont seem to backup their game files (ipa files), you have to do this 100% or you'll lose out on some of your past purchases

08-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Ok, well that just puts me off using IOS again, I'll probably Pick up a Nexus or something instead then.

Thanx.
08-03-2015, 09:01 AM
The good ones go to the great big app store in the sky.

Last edited by klink; 08-03-2015 at 09:10 AM.
08-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
Ok, well that just puts me off using IOS again, I'll probably Pick up a Nexus or something instead then.

Thanx.
Shame you're put off by it. I think its crazy that people dont backup their apps and expect every app they've ever bought to be on the app store forever.
08-03-2015, 10:09 AM
From what I've read, apps often stick around in the Purchased tab even after they're removed from the App Store - but not all of them. I think there are different levels of removal.

As others said though, iTunes backups solve the problem. That's one of the reasons I used that over iCloud backups.
08-03-2015, 10:47 AM
The Monkey Island games should still be available from your purchase history. They're still in mine, anyway.
08-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Shame you're put off by it. I think its crazy that people dont backup their apps and expect every app they've ever bought to be on the app store forever.
It's because it's a tremendous hassle. According to Apple were in a post-PC world so I should be able to do everything without an actual computer.
Sorry, It's sImply BS no matter how you try to spin it.
08-03-2015, 11:46 AM
They go here.

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
08-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
It's because it's a tremendous hassle. According to Apple were in a post-PC world so I should be able to do everything without an actual computer.
Sorry, It's sImply BS no matter how you try to spin it.
I set my path to be my apps folder on my dropbox drive

Click twice in itunes to transfer purchases and they're saved in my dropbox and uploaded. Nice and easy and no ones upset when a game you've bought from 2012 is taken off the App Store

Thing is we all know apps can disappear from the App Store but not everyone seems to take that in. Give it a week and someone will be complaining an app has disappeared

I mean surely people back up Gridlee ? Otherwise is they get a new device they won't be able to reinstall it