★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[BETA] Gnomium: Pocket Edition! [Action Word Puzzler]

08-05-2015, 04:23 PM
[BETA] Gnomium: Pocket Edition! [Action Word Puzzler]

Update! New teaser trailer released. This is the same trailer that will be included as the App Preview in the App Store when the game is released this month. Oh, and good news! The game will (pending some unknown disaster) be released this month, yes. Unless they take forever to approve it, and the whole 'Christmas lockdown' thing happens.

BETA Info (Dec. 5, 2015): Beta build 1.0 (7) is now available. If you are interested in playing, we'd love your feedback. The best way to get your email added to the TestFlight list is to send an email to me at retrodigio@gmail.com.

This is the seventh build of the public Beta release of Gnomium: PE for iOS.

This build contains mostly bug fixes and improvements to the new adlib (can I say MadLib?) feature.

* App no longer crashes if too many pics are taken during a game or when generating greater numbers of pics as the end of a game.
* The phrases, hashtag and score now attempt to intelligently re-arrange themselves so as to not obscure the Gnome.
* Random Instagram filters are applied to photos.
* The credit's window now closes properly after making the Infinite Credits IAP.
* Fixes to grammar in many of the adlibs.

Fixes to come:
* (just realized) sharing a photo shares the 'next' photo. This will be an easy fix.
* app size
* some probability adjustments for gems.

A big thanks to all of you who are all testing this. Your feedback has been awesome. My goal is to submit this to the app store this weekend sans any big issues.

original announcement below:

I'm creating another thread about this separate from the main Gnomium thread, since I am announcing (technically) a new game that will pre-release Gnomium. This is meant to be announced tomorrow at the Salt Lake Gaming Con, but wanted to let the loyal fans at TA find out first.

I'd like to announce Gnomium: Pocket Edition. A lighter, 'airier' version of Gnomium's unique gameplay for mobile. Featuring the gnome and his flying mine cart, this endless action puzzler challenges the player to mine and collect ore, coins and precious jewels from a magical letter grid in the sky. Using various grid manipulation skills, the player carefully (or brutally) amasses his fortunes through sequences of orderly destruction.

Unlike most word games, Gnomium's core mechanic focuses on re-arranging words rather than finding them. In fact, the most efficient way to play is by not thinking of words at all, but rather the filling in of empty spaces to create larger word combinations.

Pitted against a dynamic timer, the player must create and destroy valuable word groups to collect ore and produce copper, silver and gold coins. Coins can be combined (match-3-style) to produce higher level coins and gems. Breaking worthless words may help reset the timer, but will also increase the chance for stone tiles to drop into the grid. It's a fast-paced action puzzler, where every decision effects the level of difficulty. Can you open the diamond treasure chest?

* Same innovative game mechanics used in Gnomium.
* Randomly generated everything. No two games are the same.
* Dynamically timed play mode (play longer with greater skill)
* Free-To-Play with non-intrusive incentivised ads. Some in-app currency purchasing options.
* GameCenter integration.
* In-grid unlockable chests.
* Gifting mechanism featuring unique boosts only available through gifts.
* Pickaxes, chisels, exploding buckets and magical popping mushrooms.
* Unlockable gem boosts. Receive special boosts when certain gems are in the grid.
* The 'Gnome-Cam', used to take and share funny snapshots of the gnome during gameplay.
* Will also be available for Android and probably other mobile platforms.
* Multiple play-modes in the works.
* Removable 'credit' system based on the one introduced in Threes-Free.

Note: The development of Gnomium (the official game) continues. We wanted to get a version of the Gnomium universe into your hands and pockets as soon as possible. Hence the Pocket Edition. The purpose is to whet your appetite for things to come.

TouchArcade Article::

Facebook Page::

Twitter Accounts:

YouTube Channel:

- Chris

Last edited by Retrodigio; 12-07-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Beta announcement.
08-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Yay! Any ETA?

Playing: PvZ Heroes, Final Taptasy, Tap Smiths

08-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Awesome! Looks like just my type of phone game.
08-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Looks great! When do we get to play it?
08-06-2015, 12:29 AM

Hi guys!

So, there are a few things I still need to get into the game to call it good. Implementing and testing some of the boosters, more SFX, settings dialog, integrating game center, balancing rewards and dynamic difficulty settings. I anticipate going into a short beta phase in a couple of weeks and then launching soon after that. I anticipate that this will be submitted to the app store a month from now if not sooner depending on beta feedback.

Will definitely keep you updated on progress and announce when the beta is available.

- Chris
08-06-2015, 01:17 AM
Awesome! Will be following this one, for sure!
08-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Looks very interesting!
08-06-2015, 09:43 AM
TA Article

Thanks again Carter for writing a great 'upcoming' article on Gnomium: Pocket Edition! Check it out:

p.s. [I am so tired. Pulling all-nighters crunching before a conventions is not a good idea.]

- Chris
08-16-2015, 12:32 AM
How's it coming along?
08-17-2015, 01:57 AM
Back from Vacay...

vectorarchitekt, thanks for asking!

Sorry for the lack of updates this past week. After a rush of development and setup for the Salt Lake Gaming Con last weekend, my wife and I took our 6 kids on a long needed vacation up to Yellowstone before school starts this next week, a place where Internet access is 'flakey' to put it nicely.

Overall, the game convention went very well, I would guess that over 150 people played the game, many of them for extended periods who provided some very valuable feedback and wanting to get their hands on the game as soon as they can. The nice thing about Gnomium is that even though it is technically a word game, very young children can play it without a blink. Words drive the mechanics but can be completely ignored. There were several small children who played the game for a long time and cheered when they broke a gold word chain or popped an explosive mushroom. There was a lot of great feedback on the Gnome and his personality even though I have not yet added several of the expressive animations.

Here is a photo of the booth:

The good news is, I've given a lot of thought to the gifting mechanic used inside of the Pocket Edition and am going to incorporate various 'hats' as gifts in lieu of gifting straight gems. These special hats, like the other unique boosters in the gifting bonuses are temporary and apply a bonus effect to gameplay. In addition, each hat applies a special color schema while being worn. I'll write more on this once I've implemented and few and can show some screens. Lots to do in the next couple of weeks in order to get this into your hands soon.

- Chris