★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Wuah Co.,Ltd.
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 27.3 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: 'CHANBARA JUNKIES' is an exhilarating action game in which you take out enemies with a sword.
'CHANBARA JUNKIES' is set against a backdrop of a mix of classical Japanese culture and modern day Japanese culture.
The main character, a gang member named YAMATO, must fight off the police and yakuza who come for him.

-SYSTEM
What kind of game is this?
The controls are instinctual and simple.
Just slide your finger on the touch screen in the direction you want to swing your sword.
Anyone can easily enjoy the feeling of cutting down one enemy after another.

There is a boss character waiting at the end of each stage,and once the boss character's energy has decreased to a certain level,
you can slide your finger in the way displayed at the top of the screen to perform a finishing move.

-VISUAL
All characters in the game are drawn in the traditional Japanese sumi-e style.

*It is a mass application program.
Please turn off power once, and reactivate after it downloads it.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Edit: IMPRESSIONS by SquareZero..
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I TOFTTed, just because that's the kind of guy I am. After a couple of games I can say that Chanbara Junkies has the distinct feel of one-man production -- that's both a good thing and a bad thing.

First the good (again, based on initial impressions): the game has distinct art style that's part manga, part indie comic. There is a clear and very idiosyncratic story: you are a member of the Yakuza in what's either a future Japanese dystopia or a sarcastic version of contemporary society. The game's slashing mechanics are actually well thought out, and even though they can be a bit repetitive, there's definitely a tactical component. Vertical slashes (which are more difficult because enemies can move horizontally) do more damage and break enemy defenses, while horizontal slashes do less damage but can also be used for parrying. Strikes can be chained for extra damage. Every once in a while food items starts to rain in front of you (!) and you can slash them to regain health. Stages end with boss fights: as you would expect, bosses are tougher and faster than any previous enemies, and when you take down their health you get to do a "finishing move" by slashing according to a sequence of on-screen arrows.

Now the bad: the game is definitely rough around the edges, with manga cut scenes that look blurry and amateurish, hint screens that go by too quickly to read the text (same thing happens in Hybrid, BTW: could be a 3Gs thing), and animation that could appropriately be described as choppy. Strokes don's always seem to register the way you expect them to, which can be frustrating. The character design is actually not bad, but the backgrounds look like traced-over photographs and don't quite fit the overall style. Also, difficulty ramps up quick, and when you are fighting multiple enemies at once, the game can get physically taxing, especially on the wrist (though perhaps doing smaller strokes could help). The player death screen is in Japanese and seems unreactive to touches, so at first I thought the game had crashed (after a few seconds it brings you back to the main menu).

I'm actually glad I picked Chanbara Junkies: it seems to be the work of a funny, sarcastic individual who is pretty angry at contemporary Japanese society. It's kind of rough in some areas, but so far I've found it to be pretty challenging and entertaining.
09-24-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm so confused

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.

09-24-2009, 06:22 AM
What's confusing? I think this looks pretty cool. I'm going to wait and see if any impressions are forthcoming though...

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
09-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
What's confusing?
I was half-joking really. I mean, from the decription the gameplay seems simple enough, but seriously sizzla, you don't think the 4th screenshot is a little confusing?

What's going on with the hex shapes on the screen?

09-24-2009, 06:56 AM
If that were 10MB or less I would bought it in a second. Surely someone else will try it before I get home. Looks pretty great to me.
09-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt Reynolds View Post
I was half-joking really. I mean, from the decription the gameplay seems simple enough, but seriously sizzla, you don't think the 4th screenshot is a little confusing?

What's going on with the hex shapes on the screen?
Oh, I just didn't get what you meant...I was confused by your confusion I'm guessing the hex shapes get smaller and you're supposed to swipe at a certain point, but that's just a guess. I also can't dl right now, as I'm not near wifi.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
09-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Gameplay:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Awesome artwork, but the gameplay looks a little repetitive for me.

09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I TOFTTed, just because that's the kind of guy I am. After a couple of games I can say that Chanbara Junkies has the distinct feel of one-man production -- that's both a good thing and a bad thing.

First the good (again, based on initial impressions): the game has distinct art style that's part manga, part indie comic. There is a clear and very idiosyncratic story: you are a member of the Yakuza in what's either a future Japanese dystopia or a sarcastic version of contemporary society. The game's slashing mechanics are actually well thought out, and even though they can be a bit repetitive, there's definitely a tactical component. Vertical slashes (which are more difficult because enemies can move horizontally) do more damage and break enemy defenses, while horizontal slashes do less damage but can also be used for parrying. Strikes can be chained for extra damage. Every once in a while food items starts to rain in front of you (!) and you can slash them to regain health. Stages end with boss fights: as you would expect, bosses are tougher and faster than any previous enemies, and when you take down their health you get to do a "finishing move" by slashing according to a sequence of on-screen arrows.

Now the bad: the game is definitely rough around the edges, with manga cut scenes that look blurry and amateurish, hint screens that go by too quickly to read the text (same thing happens in Hybrid, BTW: could be a 3Gs thing), and animation that could appropriately be described as choppy. Strokes don's always seem to register the way you expect them to, which can be frustrating. The character design is actually not bad, but the backgrounds look like traced-over photographs and don't quite fit the overall style. Also, difficulty ramps up quick, and when you are fighting multiple enemies at once, the game can get physically taxing, especially on the wrist (though perhaps doing smaller strokes could help). The player death screen is in Japanese and seems unreactive to touches, so at first I thought the game had crashed (after a few seconds it brings you back to the main menu).

I'm actually glad I picked Chanbara Junkies: it seems to be the work of a funny, sarcastic individual who is pretty angry at contemporary Japanese society. It's kind of rough in some areas, but so far I've found it to be pretty challenging and entertaining.