★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Mobile version?

12-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Mobile version?

Just a suggestion here ...

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but I think TA desperately needs a mobile version like MacRumors has. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the ONLY person who regularly checks TA on an iPhone, and the full version takes FOREVER to load. If you could add a mobile version for at least the blog part (mobile version forums would be GREAT, too) it would make it a lot easier for people to access the site on their iDevice.

What do you think?
12-21-2008, 08:06 AM
You'd probably never get the forum version you wished for due to the size of the whole thing, but the blog certainly is a possibility. C'mon, we need a Mobile TA!

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3

12-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
You'd probably never get the forum version you wished for due to the size of the whole thing, but the blog certainly is a possibility. C'mon, we need a Mobile TA!
Actually, arn made a mobile version forum for MacRumors, and it works really well. The only downside is that attached images can't be viewed, polls don't display, and some characters (like ampersands, sometimes) don't display correctly on the iPhone, causing Safari to atop rendering the page after the offending character. That last one is a bitch because the carrier which sells the iPhone in the States just happens to have an ampersand in its name.

Anyway, thanks for posting. Maybe if enough of us post, it'll convince arn to get a mobile version up!
12-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Just get an RSS Reader and subscribe to the RSS feed. Google Reader is a good one and the iPhone version will even open up pages optimized for mobile devices, if you wish.
12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
Just get an RSS Reader and subscribe to the RSS feed. Google Reader is a good one and the iPhone version will even open up pages optimized for mobile devices, if you wish.
Yeah, but the RSS Reader doesn't solve the forum problem.
12-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I have Newsstand, but it's just not the same. And Chiller ONE is right - it doesn't solve the forum problem. Having a mobile version of both the main page and the forums makes sense for a site dedicated to the iPhone/iPod Touch, and would make visiting the site MUCH more enjoyable.
12-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
Yeah, but the RSS Reader doesn't solve the forum problem.
You're right. And this is very possible to do. iLounge has a fantastic iPhone-optimized site which you can use to browse the forums, and they also use vBulletin.

Personally, I'd love to see someone develop a native app that let's you browse IPB, vB, and various other types of message boards. I might even pay for it.
12-21-2008, 09:06 AM
There have been loads of threads on this subject.
There is a standard template for mobile sites now that a lot of sites have adopted... finger gaming has it and so does leoville.

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
12-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Reaper View Post
There have been loads of threads on this subject.
Odd - I didn't see any in this particular forum ...
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM
macrumors has a mobile version? somebody please give me the link

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95