★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Umbrella Jump (by Introvert Studios) Would you like to test it?

08-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Umbrella Jump (by Introvert Studios) Would you like to test it?

Hello everyone! We will be releasing Umbrella Jump very soon, but first we would love to get some more feedback!

Umbrella Jump is a fast-paced sidescroller platformer, in which you simply tap to jump & pop your umbrella out to glide through the air.

The objective is simple - reach the flag!..

...but that's easier said than done

There are 10 levels to beat, which doesn't seem like much but we wanted to focus on the quality of each level for smooth, fun gameplay. It's surprising how long some levels take to beat!

Each level has 4 stars that you must collect if you want to get the high score and unlock new characters.

Umbrella jump will be a free game with sparse pop-up ads and the opportunity to view opt-in ads to aid unlocking levels (But you still might want to legitimately beat them so you can brag about it on twitter!!!).

If you would like to beta test Umbrella Jump before release, please let us know via comments or PM!

If you don’t want to beta test that's cool too, we’d love to hear what you think anyway.

Good luck, your gonna need it!

Last edited by Introvert Studios; 09-02-2015 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Images and video have been updated as the game has been edited
08-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Gameplay video!

Here's a quick gameplay video of one of the later levels:

Last edited by Introvert Studios; 09-02-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Updated video to new gameplay

08-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Lock great
08-14-2015, 01:26 AM
I was having fun with similar prototype, but in the end I left it over. I wonder how it plays I will gladly beta test the game

Game Designer / Owner @ JamCastle
08-14-2015, 01:53 AM
Mr Jump

It looks suspiciously like our game, Mr Jump. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=257503

And I would like to try it

Last edited by 1Button; 08-14-2015 at 02:03 AM.
08-14-2015, 01:59 AM
so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Button View Post
It looks suspiciously like our game, Mr Jump. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=257503
Looks like it

Last edited by angelof73; 08-14-2015 at 02:06 AM.
08-14-2015, 04:21 AM
Quote:

And I would like to try it
Hello 1Button!

Thank you for checking it out, we are really pleased you want to try it, if you PM us your email for test flight we will link you up.

We were influenced by a lot of games when making Umbrella Jump, Mr Jump being the primary inspiration and we're not ashamed that it shows! We have wanted to make a jumping platformer game with a spin on it - aka the umbrella popping mechanic - for a while.

The way it plays is very different to Mr Jump - it's not as deathly hard, more casual but still challenging to get the timing right. The umbrella mechanic gives a greater freedom of movement, making the gameplay more fluid than in Mr Jump, so over all it has quite a different, more casual feel.

Last edited by Introvert Studios; 08-14-2015 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong order
08-14-2015, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samur View Post
I was having fun with similar prototype, but in the end I left it over. I wonder how it plays I will gladly beta test the game
We had fun making it too and would love for you to play it. PM us with your email and we can hook you up on test flight - thanks for checking it out!

Last edited by Introvert Studios; 08-14-2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Forgot quote
08-15-2015, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvert Studios View Post
Hello 1Button!

Thank you for checking it out, we are really pleased you want to try it, if you PM us your email for test flight we will link you up.

We were influenced by a lot of games when making Umbrella Jump, Mr Jump being the primary inspiration and we're not ashamed that it shows! We have wanted to make a jumping platformer game with a spin on it - aka the umbrella popping mechanic - for a while.

The way it plays is very different to Mr Jump - it's not as deathly hard, more casual but still challenging to get the timing right. The umbrella mechanic gives a greater freedom of movement, making the gameplay more fluid than in Mr Jump, so over all it has quite a different, more casual feel.
Thanks for the Test Flight!

I played Umbrella Jump and I must say that it confirms what I thought. Of course I am not talking about the game concept, it's not because we made Mr Jump that we own the platformer genre I am talking about the graphic style. You say that Mr Jump was your primary inspiration and it's great. But instead of finding your own style you just took things from Mr Jump (the platforms, the character, the traps, the menus) and you changed a few things in an attempt to make it your own. And let me tell you that it is not how it works. What makes an app, a game, perfect is when all the pieces fit. So if you take something from someone else and change things, it no longer works.

So you should be ashamed yes.

I went to your website and found this: http://introvertstudios.com/mobile-games-our-approach/

Quote:
The market has some problems to solve

Each day hundreds of new games are spawned which makes it difficult for small indies like us
to be discovered.

But like all markets there are problems – in the mobile sector it looks like this:

1) Many low quality games offering poor player experience
2) Games riddled with dirty monetisation tactics such as ‘Paywalling‘ or even paid games that will still force ads down your throat
3) A large number of ‘similar’ games that don’t offer anything new or innovative
4) Many games that are simply too easy. Years ago developers seemed to get this idea that the average mobile game player was not smart enough to handle complex puzzles, so proceeded to saturate the market with easy, unrewarding games. Now don’t get me wrong there are some very clever, complex games out there such as Monument Valley but just looking at the newest arrivals… not so tricky. There is nothing wrong with simple games but we believe if you are going to offer a challenge – never insult the players intelligence!

What will we do to solve it?

We have a rough/early idea of what we want to offer:

1) High quality, free games that offer something fresh and exciting.
2) Occasional non-intrusive ads from a good advertising network that rewards us on conversions. (We will never show a banner – ever!)
No paywalls!
3) The option to remove ads via a one-off IAP
4) Regular updates on all our games, with a way of getting feedback from players to improve each product

Right now were working on a new, exciting game for iOS and Android and we can’t wait to show you it!

– Stay tuned
The second paragraph is the way to go, you're right, but for now I only see the first.

Good luck!

Last edited by 1Button; 08-15-2015 at 02:07 AM.
08-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Quote:

I played Umbrella Jump and I must say that it confirms what I thought. Of course I am not talking about the game concept, it's not because we made Mr Jump that we own the platformer genre I am talking about the graphic style. You say that Mr Jump was your primary inspiration and it's great. But instead of finding your own style you just took things from Mr Jump (the platforms, the character, the traps, the menus) and you changed a few things in an attempt to make it your own. And let me tell you that it is not how it works. What makes an app, a game, perfect is when all the pieces fit. So if you take something from someone else and change things, it no longer works.
Thank you for taking the time to play it and give us your thoughts.

We are sorry that you feel that way about the game graphics.

A lot of the design is based on the IOS guidelines, such as transparent menu screens with clean, white contrasted buttons and using an IOS colour pallette as a base. Many games and apps use this, as it is a look that has been proven to have great usability and aesthetics, and we want to provide a familiar and smooth user experience. However your concerns about certain assets are valid and we will take some time to iterate on these, with the intention of rectifying the issues.

After doing so, we would be grateful if you would take another look and let us know what you think of the changes.