★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New game: Samurai Puzzle Battle Arcade

12-21-2008, 08:01 AM
New game: Samurai Puzzle Battle Arcade

New game.... Is it just a spinoff or something?
Link

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300439658&mt=8

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
12-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Not sure, I thought this was already released too.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

12-21-2008, 08:11 AM
It said it is an arcade version of the original, so I typed "Samurai Puzzle Battle" into Google and got this snazzy site:

http://www.samuraipuzzlebattle.com/

I'll admit it looks kind of intriguing, but a match-3 game is a match-3 game in my mind, and I don't know that I'm willing to risk even a buck on it.
12-21-2008, 08:11 AM
It seems more like a lite version. They left out the risk-like part where you conquer Japan, so you're basically just playing the match 3 part.
12-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Holy simultaneous post, Batman!
12-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Seems there are three versions: the full Samurai Puzzle Battle, an arcade version with only the Bejeweled clone and a lite version.

I bought the full version and it is really a lot more than just another "match 3" game, it is really unique actually (pretty close to Orions, just with battling by Bejeweled instead of cards). In the strategy part you try to beat other shoguns by building up armies (pretty complex) with many different characters. Troups can be moved, merged, etc. You take the role of one shogun (several with different difficulty levels to choose from). Obvious goal is to beat all other shoguns. The complexity of the troup characters is quite a feat. They have the usual differentiating properties (damage, durability etc.), but also some quite tricky ones (like joining the enemy if you do not pay them at certain intervals).

Now, whenever there is a battle, you play Bejeweled against the opponent (turn based). But it is not just "match 3". Each symbol has a special meaning (different attack types - physical, magic and Ki) and filling up life, mana and strength bars. The initial capacities of the life, mana and strength bars depend on the type of character and its actual condition in the strategy game. Depending on the type of opponent, the damage caused by different attack types varies too. You play Bejeweled with jewels instead of symbols to fill up your cash. There is a lot more to it.

I have both (Orions and Samurai Puzzle Battle) and while Orions is maybe a bit more polished, I play SPB a lot more. At the current price, I think it is a steal.
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Hey SPB Veterans!

Okay, I think I get it, these are the Puzzle Modes of the full Samurai Puzzle Battle but, having only played the puzzles in the Lite game, do these games have multiple levels and track your high scores? In the Lite mode of these puzzles there was no score whatsoever so I'm just trying to get how the FULL versions' (Samurai Puzzle Battle or Samurai Puzzle Arcade) of these puzzle would work.