★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The best way for indie developers?

09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
The best way for indie developers?

Hey guys, here I am an indie game developer. My game Fight Desert was released on appstore few days ago. I created a post here.

Well, I just have got only 50+ downloads in the passed week, in fact, much lower than I expected.

I was so confused about going further. As far as I know, there are two options:
1. Go on to publish more small games, free with AD or 0.99 tier.
2. Spent more time & money to make a better game. I insisted that we should set the price on $1.99 or higher.

It's said that: we make games for love, not for money. I definetely agree with that. However, we wanna make things bigger. You konw, a better game needs more developer, artist, and even more cost to promote.

Any good advise for me, and for those indie gamers lile me?

Quote:
--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM
50 in a week isnt that bad comparatively, unless your counting your promo codes.

being as your games enviromentalish.
how about approaching green energy companies for a promotional app.
or the government, get them to pay for the dev, then you wont need to worry about units sold in such a competative market.
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waigo21 View Post
Hey guys, here I am an indie game developer. My game Fight Desert was released on appstore few days ago. I created a post here.

Well, I just have got only 50+ downloads in the passed week, in fact, much lower than I expected.

I was so confused about going further. As far as I know, there are two options:
1. Go on to publish more small games, free with AD or 0.99 tier.
2. Spent more time & money to make a better game. I insisted that we should set the price on $1.99 or higher.

It's said that: we make games for love, not for money. I definetely agree with that. However, we wanna make things bigger. You konw, a better game needs more developer, artist, and even more cost to promote.

Any good advise for me, and for those indie gamers lile me?

Increase the price of your application since it does not have a mass audience connection. It' more specialized, so fewer will download.

We Are Pocket Monkey Games
Website | Twitter | Facebook

•Our Games on the AppStore•
09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Thank you for replying me.
You guys are so kind and points me out the right way.
I just got confused after reading this post: http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/bu...-you-made.html.
I really know that success on the appstore now is all about a slow burn, unless you get really lucky. The busniess mode of appstore was even called into question by somebody.

Hell, don't be thinking so much. Just do it.

Quote:
--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------