★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Upcoming Platform Game: Suzy Cube

08-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Upcoming Platform Game: Suzy Cube

Oh man, I am SOO excited to finally be talking about this on the TA forums! I'll keep it short here but you can read a big post about it on my blog: http://louardongames.blogspot.com/20...-of-super.html .

The fun part for all of you is that I'm now working full time on a platform game targeting iOS. I'm treating the project as a master study of Super Mario 3D Land, my favourite 3D Mario game, in fact, my favourite 3D platform game. I plan on being pretty vocal during the development, sharing the progress I make and the lessons I learn along the way. For now, I'm just going to share a few gifs with all of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SuzyStanceCapture.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	91451   Click image for larger version

Name:	SuzyRunCapture.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	91452   Click image for larger version

Name:	SkullStanceCapture.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	91453  

08-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Dang... I haven't figured out why my GIFs aren't animating... That's a problem for next week!

08-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Super excited to share more news about Suzy Cube! It's a 3D platform game taking a lot of cues from Super Mario 3D Land. Man I love SM3DL. I was never a huge fan of the 3D Mario games, but 3D Land's mix of 3D + the level structure of the 2D games.. love it! Anyway, I'm going to be blogging about it over at http://louardongames.blogspot.com but also plan to cross post cool developments here starting with a handful of gifs of little Suzy in action.

These blocks are only visible when Suzy is close. Trick is, the collision volume is unaffected, only the visible mesh disappears and appears.

Good old crumbling blocks! The clever thing here is that the collision is actually deactivated a little after the block collapses so the player has time to notice the collapse and still jump to safety.

Wrote a waypoint based mover script and a follower mover script. Voltron together into... Tada! A snake!

And Finally, some jump pad variations. Simple jump pad, a bounce pad that allows you to jump higher with each bounce, a jump activated spring board and one you need to ground pound (with the helmet power up) in order to lock into place.

Well, that's going to be it for this update. I am working on the game full time now so I hope to have pretty nice updates every week. See you then!
08-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Looking good , louard!
08-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Update for Friday August 28

I've started work on a new level, level 3-3. Why not level 1-2? Well, I won't get into it but I wrote all about that on my blog.

The level is lava themed with various timed obstacles that move to the music (some slight bugs to fix regarding this...) I also implemented a simple lava plane which follows the camera in X and Z but keeps a fixed Y height, giving the impression of the lava going on infinitely.

I also did some work on some generic stuff that isn't necessarily for level 3-3, like a ghost enemy which will chase you by following everywhere you've been and some retracting spikes which can have their timing easily offest for cool effects.

As always you can get more info about this on my blog. Let's look at some gifs!

08-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Not sure what you're using to generate those animated GIFs, but the color banding makes them look much worse than the actual beta. Can you try exporting 'em with dithering enabled? Might help.

Really looking forward to seeing boss fights!
08-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm using LICEcap and I don't see an option for dithering... Any other option to recommend for Mac?
09-04-2015, 12:55 PM
I don't have time for a big update this week so I'll just refer you all to my update post on my blog (bad form, I know!): http://louardongames.blogspot.com/20...er-4-2015.html

But here's a TLDR for the rest of you:
Still working on Level 3-3.. it's taking a long time!
Worked on projectiles and cannons!

09-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Level 3-3 is looking insane, especially the rotating platforms.

How will Suzy pull off the ground pound attack?

And last but not least, any reason this thread isn't in upcoming games section? I suspect you'd be getting a lot more eyeballs there.
09-06-2015, 03:22 PM
WOW this pretty darn cool. especially loving the dark ghost-like character those animations are awesome man