★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Comets and Craters - Tower Defense Strategy OUT NOW!

09-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Comets and Craters - Tower Defense Strategy OUT NOW!

Comets and Craters is now available!

App Store Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=330137185&mt=8
Price: $2.99
Developer: www.livingartz.com

BACKGROUND STORY:

The year is 2120. The past decade has seen Earth become the target of increasing numbers of Comets and Meteorites in our solar system. A defence system known as "NeoGrid" has been created to redirect these Comets and Meteorites to crash in the secure compound of Space Station "Orion" based on the Moon. The rich mineral and crystal deposits left by these exploding Comets and Meteorites has provided a valuable fuel source and manufacturing material for Earth.

The abundance of such deposits has lured Alien attacks to Earth seeking to obtain our new resources for their own purpose. NeoGrid has been expanded to defend against such attacks, however an Ancient Alien race known as the Dracone has infiltrated NeoGrid's defence system and invaded Orion by assimilating our defence vehicles and personnel in an attempt to destroy our Space Station.

You are the last hope of defending Orion and Earth against total annihilation. You must use Orion's resources to construct Defence Towers and Mines. Upgrade the Space Station and Processing Docks to expand Orion's mining and defense tower capabilities to defeat the Dracone invaders and save the human race.

OVERVIEW:

Comets and Craters is a Tower Defense meets RTS style game. Collect Minerals and Crystals with your Transporters to purchase and repair your Towers, Docks and Space Station. Upgrade your Space Station to unlock new Towers and more powerful weapons. Increase your Crystal and Mineral processing capability by upgrading your Docks. Trade your Towers if your Mineral reserves become low. Post Highscores for Rookie, Veteran and Hero Modes with aim of becoming the Global Leader of Comets and Craters.

FEATURES:

Towers/Mines, Buildings, Enemy
- 5 x upgradable Towers, Laser, Pulse, Arc, Atom and Sonic
- 2 x Tower upgrades to increase weapons power
- Different range Towers, different abilities
- 3 x ground mines, Freeze, Blast (upgrade to Smart Mine)
- 2 x Transporters for collection of Minerals and Crystals from crater fields
- Inbound Comets and Meteorites leaving behind Mineral and Crystal deposits
- 2 x Dock upgrades to increase value of Mineral and Crystal collection
- 2 x Space Station upgrades to unlock additional Towers/Mines and upgrades
- Trade your Towers
- Tower and Mine damage
- Space Station and Dock damage
- Towers become inactive at zero health and cause loss of points
- Repair for Towers, Mines, Dock and SpaceStation
- Health status for Tower, Enemy Vehicles and Buildings
- 7 x ground enemy vehicles (two of which have attack ability, one with forcefield)
- 2 x airbourne enemy vehicles
- 100 x Attack waves per Mode
- 3 x Modes of difficulty, Rookie, Veteran and Hero
- The quicker you destroy an enemy the more points you will gain

Integrated Scoreloop Leaderboard
- Highscores for Rookie, Veteran and Hero modes
- Challenges (challenge your fiends to beat your score)
- Buddy lists

Youtube link | Pop Up

Comets and Craters - Just updated!
Comets and Craters Lite - Out Now!
Jingle Balls - Just updated!

Last edited by artzfx; 09-24-2009 at 06:09 PM.
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
cool this is finally out

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com

09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyye06 View Post
cool this is finally out
I don't follow the upcoming threads. What's the deal on this?

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
09-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
I don't follow the upcoming threads. What's the deal on this?
well nm, I enjoy TD's and plan on getting this but not sure if its gonna wow me or anything...just another TD..to me.

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Looks really cool and colorful. Watching for reviews.

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
09-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Looks great. Insta buy for me, but it isn't showing up in the US store yet.

Michael
09-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I've only played a few quick games on it and so far it is really pretty cool. It's open path with a few obstacles placed on the map for you to build around or incorporate. You must send out bots to collect the green and blue crystals on the field and you use these to upgrade and repair your base. Upgrading your base will let you give your guns a 3rd upgrade.

Towers are placed with the classic drag and drop method and the tower's range is shown during placement. Selling and upgrading were also equally easy and intuitive. Select a tower on a field and your choices appear around it. There are also square "towers" that look like blue or red computer chips and you actually put those in in the path to slow down the enemy vehicles. There are both ground and flying units.

There is online scoring via Scoreloop and that worked painlessly for me during play.

The only things that weren't immediately intuitive to me were how much cash I have for upgrades...towers become colored when they are available for building, but I had no immediate idea where my current cash was displayed. Same for base upgrades, I was not sure when my base was upgradeable from gathering enough crystals so I just kept going back and checking my base periodically to see if the upgrade was available.

It would also be cool if when I pressed and held a tower icon, a small pop-up with basic info would come up like what enemy types the tower targeted.

One thing this game also incorporates is damage to towers. I was spending a lot of time repairing damaged towers and mines. Versus upgrading or building new towers. You cannot sell a damaged tower unless you repair it to full health first. One thing that confused me is that some towers appeared to be outright destroyed, but if I selected them, all of my options to sell, upgrade, and, repair were grayed out...yet I did have enough money to build new towers.

Overall, like I said I only played a couple of quick games and enjoyed the experience. The background music was nice and the sound effects were good (except there is a tiny static pop on the end of laser shooting sound for the basic tower). I think there is more I need to know before I can fully understand all the in's and out's of the game as I played my games after giving a quick once over on the help screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks DG for your review and glad you like it.

With the things that weren't so intuitive, perhaps we can include more in the Help screens like we have on our website Gameplay page.

Regarding destroyed Towers.
- They never become completely destroyed, only damaged/inactive
- They can be revived using Crystals (Green) to repair
- They can not be Traded/sold if in damaged/inactive state, you must repair with some health first.

The Crystal and Mineral value the player holds is represented as per image below but something we might need to make more obvious and list in the Help screens.

Comets and Craters - Just updated!
Comets and Craters Lite - Out Now!
Jingle Balls - Just updated!

Last edited by artzfx; 09-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.
09-24-2009, 11:46 PM
I purchased this, and I think I am going to love it.

I have two questions:

1) How does one collect blue and green gems? I read the instructions, but I still can't figure it out.

2) How many different maps are there in the game?

Thanks, Michael
09-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkaufman View Post
I purchased this, and I think I am going to love it.

I have two questions:

1) How does one collect blue and green gems? I read the instructions, but I still can't figure it out.

2) How many different maps are there in the game?

Thanks, Michael
I don't remember on the maps, but to collect the crystals you need to click on the corresponding base on the far right of the map and a popup will appear...the left one will show a little ship...click on it and it will head out and start collecting crystals. You have to click on the upper and lower base since they will each collect their corresponding color only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.

Last edited by Devilishly Good; 09-24-2009 at 11:51 PM.