★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cavernaut: Cave flyer with random maps -- coming mid-September

08-30-2015, 06:04 AM
Cavernaut: Cave flyer with random maps - Coming September 22

Hello everybody,

I'd like to announce my first game, Cavernaut. I've been working on it for more than three years, and in a few days it will be available in the App Store!

Cavernaut is a cave flyer, inspired by classic titles like Lunar Lander, Thrust, or Solar Jetman. Your goal: Pilot a spaceship from a launch pad deep within an alien planet through a maze of caves to the planet's surface. You'll have to avoid hazards like lasers, mines, or spiked walls, and find landing pads to refill your tanks before you run out of fuel. On your way, you pick up luminum crystals that can be traded for ship upgrades, and perhaps you can discover the fragments of relics from an ancient alien civilization that are scattered throughout the caves.

The ship is steered with tilt & touch controls. You'll have to make it through 5 levels with increasing difficulty, which are semi-randomly generated every time you play, so no two caves are alike. Do you have the skill to make it to the surface?

Check out the trailer and some screenshots:

What do you think? All comments and feedback is much appreciated!

The game will be available for iOS on September 22 for an introductory price of $0.99/€0.99 during the first week after it's release. After that, the regular price is $1.99/€1.99. An Android version will be available a few weeks after the iOS release.

If you want to learn more about the game, or want to contact me, here are some links:

Game website
Twitter: @EinheitB
indieDB page
GamingSOON page

Update:

It's finally available on the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/cavernaut/id972481169?mt=8

Last edited by Einheit B; 09-22-2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Updated with App Store link
08-30-2015, 08:29 AM
Looks good! Nice trailer. I would recommend you have ambient music in this game if you don't already (similar to Mines of Mars).

08-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
Looks good! Nice trailer. I would recommend you have ambient music in this game if you don't already (similar to Mines of Mars).
Thanks vectorarchitect! The music in the game actually is more ambient-ish, compared to the music from the trailer. Not sure if it's anything like the one from Mines of Mars, but I have two tracks from the game on Soundcloud, so you can listen to them here and find out:

https://soundcloud.com/schoenepauck/cavern-ambience

https://soundcloud.com/schoenepauck/waiting-for-launch

Cheers,
Jan

Last edited by Einheit B; 08-31-2015 at 02:15 AM. Reason: clarification
08-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Looks great. Love a good cave flyer.
09-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoichi View Post
Looks great. Love a good cave flyer.
Thanks! It's in review at Apple now, keep your fingers crossed for me.
09-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Just a quick update: I had to submit a new binary to apple; while playtesting yesterday I discovered a nasty bug that had managed to evade detection until now. It was one of those that only get noticed very rarely, but when it does, it's very embarrassing
Good news, It is fixed now, but the downside is we will probably have to wait a bit longer until Apple reviews the game.
09-07-2015, 04:52 AM
This looks awesome dude. I'll definitely be checking this out.
09-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Cavernaut has a release date now: September 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgray View Post
This looks awesome dude. I'll definitely be checking this out.
Thanks!

And here is an update for you: Apple has finally (after what felt like the longest wait in my life ever) approved the game, so I have set a release date for Cavernaut: It will hit the App Store September 22. To celebrate this I have created a (slightly) updated trailer, see the first post!
09-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Professional Trailer. Very cool. Do you have made it on your own?
09-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Professional Trailer. Very cool. Do you have made it on your own?
Thanks MountainKing! Yes, I was crazy enough to do everything myself, including the trailer.